• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tritea en route to Hawaii

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
My neighbor at Newmark's Marina, James, set sail solo for Hawaii aboard his Alberg 30 on Sunday. Just passed Catalina and San Clemente Island he is in 8 ft seas at 7 seconds in 20kts. Instead of passing through the rough weather the size of the wind event keeps expanding and he won't be in regular trade winds for almost a week. Any good thoughts you can send through the Sky Boss towards James are appreciated. You can follow his tracking here. https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Triteia

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Square" Seas! (Over square, actually)
Ick.....
He must be having some interesting times, just hanging on!
:sick:

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
"Square" Seas! (Over square, actually)
Ick.....
He must be having some interesting times, just hanging on!
:sick:
The green emoji covers it. Self steering takes most of the mental part out, it is impossible to work on a project to keep your mind on something, so you are left hanging on and contemplating the motion. His very late, and brief, check in mentions that result but expresses confidence in his vessel which he spent a long time bullet proofing. He and his wife dropped their mast in the slip and installed a new one using 2x4's. It was something to see. Pretty sure it's on their channel "Sailing Tritea" At first glance James may not be everyone's cup of tea but, beyond the cosmetics, he is a very decent fellow. I will certainly miss my helpful neighbor as he is off to the Aleutians and Alaska from Hawaii and knowing how way leads on to way I doubt if I shall see him again.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
The wind event continues to expand but Tritea (daughter of the sea god Triton) appears to be at home in the waves. The skipper, after days of seasickness, is in good spirits. Do auto tiller pilots eliminate the possibility of an unbidden nighttime helmsman when infirm?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Bummer that Tritea had to turn around with wind vane issue. He seems like a resilient guy. I am interested in his next moves.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
It is a bummer that he could not continue. I am a bit surprised that spare bolts which could have alleviated this problem would not be in his spare supplies kit, but perhaps it is a specialty bolt. I am only being a Monday morning, armchair quarterback here, after all, I know that reality can be......real. Cap'n Ron, in his wisdom, "If it happens, it's gonna happen 'out there!' "

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
The parts may be there. Changing them out in 8 foot seas at 7 seconds and 20 knots of wind while at the helm might have been an issue. I would put 2 nuts on each bolt, one to crank tight and the 2nd to hold the first firm. And as way leads to way I await their next move. I doubt if they will hang it up. They will be going somewhere soon. I am waiting for some footage of the conditions. I'm relieved he turned around. You would have to be 7/10ths Ahab to persevere in conditions like that.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
The green emoji covers it. Self steering takes most of the mental part out, it is impossible to work on a project to keep your mind on something, so you are left hanging on and contemplating the motion. His very late, and brief, check in mentions that result but expresses confidence in his vessel which he spent a long time bullet proofing. He and his wife dropped their mast in the slip and installed a new one using 2x4's. It was something to see. Pretty sure it's on their channel "Sailing Tritea" At first glance James may not be everyone's cup of tea but, beyond the cosmetics, he is a very decent fellow. I will certainly miss my helpful neighbor as he is off to the Aleutians and Alaska from Hawaii and knowing how way leads on to way I doubt if I shall see him again.
I used to subscribe to his channel until he posted a video of himself and his friends laughing at an inexperienced boater trying to get his vessel off the beach on Catalina while they were just a short distance away giggling like little girls. The comments on that video we’re mostly negative, I think he unlisted it. From his videos it really seems like he doesn’t like other boaters.

Oh yeah, and he also likes to show his completely gross bare rump on you tube.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I never saw that video. It's good that he removed it. In Two Harbors once my children didn't pull the canoe up high enough for the incoming tide. As I tried to reach them on the phone I watched 10 jet skiers over on a tour sitting 15 feet from it just watching it get slid around on the rocks. I think it's a symptom of society in general. Sailors come in many shapes and sizes, some are very elegant, some are very not.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
My former slip neighbor, James, after one aborted Hawaii attempt, a second successful attempt involving a broken rudder far from Hawaii, and after several months of exploring the Islands, is now deep in the heart of nowhere on his way to French Polynesia. His progress and and journal are at https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Triteia/
Thanks for sharing that link. I’ve always enjoyed James’ youtube channel, his matter-of-fact way of dealing with the challenges balanced with the way he enjoys the good times is good to follow.

p.gazibara

Member III
James was down the dock from us here in Whangarei for a bit. Nice guy, on quite a mission!
Hope he’s doing well out there. Haven’t seen what he’s up to since I stopped using Instagram.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
James was down the dock from us here in Whangarei for a bit. Nice guy, on quite a mission!
Hope he’s doing well out there. Haven’t seen what he’s up to since I stopped using Instagram.
He was in the slip next to me. I think sometimes the tragedy of a lost relationship
can focus someone on their goals like nothing else can.