Uses for climbing rope?

I have 50 mm of high quality, 9mm dynamic climbing rope. Strength is 3600lbs, or so. Any nautical use for this stuff? Anchor rode?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mr. Pint,
You could probably use that high-$$ line for any sort of mooring or even anchoring line in a pinch... but I seem to recall that the built-in vital performance characteristic of "climbing rope" is that it can stretch XX percent to stop/cushion your fall down the inevitable rock face, and then has to be replaced because that extreme line-stretch has become permanent.
:confused:
This would be quite different than three-strand nylon anchor line which recovers from repeated shock loads, such as your boat surging on it while at anchor in some choppy bay or cove.

Or am I mis-remembering what I thought I read? (wouldn't be the first time...)
:rolleyes:

Loren

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Loren is exactly correct (as usual) better to find it a good home on lad and hope that it will fetch enough for a down payment on a line you need... just seems things are always worth more when you are buying than selling, why is that? good luck, Edd

thanks for the replys, guys. I have found that 50 meters of pretty climbing rope braided frames a door well and adds that outdoorsy feel to the living room of my apartment.:nerd: