Wanted 38 Ericson in Pacific Northwest

sail2blue

sail2blue
Looking for E34, 35 or 38 in the PNW

Hi,
We're looking for the same thing! Let's be sure we don't end up bidding against each other..ha! ;)

Did you see the E38 listed in Sequim for $99 - seemed a bit steep. There's also that older E41 in BC that is really nice.

I'm actually looking for an 80's E34, 35, or 38, so if you run across any in your search that you're not interested in, let me know! I'd be interested in any info you learn to watch out for as you look at them.

Thanks,
Sue

Richard Elliott

Member III
Ericson 38

48 Degrees North magazine lists a 38 by Gig Harbor Yacht Sales for $59,000 located in Poulsbo. They claim in excellent condition.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
there is a nice one listed on craigs list down in san diego...you would have to sail/truck...it looked nice and its priced right...around low 50's...good luck...the 38's are a nice one.....:D

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The truck option

Just for grins I called a boat trucking company, Norgard Boat Hauling, the other day and they gave me a ball park quote to bring up a boat of this size from the Santa Barbara area to Portland. The trucking fee alone would run about $4k. You would have to add yard fees on both ends, of course.
Quote sounded high to me, but since I was just indulging idle curiousity no other companies were contacted...

Speaking of the E-38, specifically the 38-200, has anyone ever installed a custom flip down back rest for that cute little "nav table" that it comes with?

That's been a deal killer for us, so far, but,.... never say never. :)
Love the boat in most other ways...
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

ps: FWIW, there is no way I would try to bring an un-sorted-out used boat offshore up the left coast, against prevailing wind and wave.

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
My boat from Alameda (SF Bay) to Everett (just north of Seattle) cost me 3K using Dudley who is well recognized on this list. The cost was up due to cost of diesel at the time; the size of the boat is imaterial unless they need a tow vehicle. The 12 beam does not require if from CA to WA, but anything beamier would.

I would suspect the extra distance to San Diego to Seattle would raise it by another 1200 maximum, so the 8K budgetary quote seems way out of line.

One thing to make sure if their insurance. I had double insurance on the boat, but Dudley is insured through Lyodds and provides full coverage. The only reason I took out addiitonal coverage is if something shorted out and it went up in flames since I shut down the power, but didn't remove the batteries.

deposit .02 cents please.

shaun

sailingskipper

Thanks for the heads up on the 38 E

there is a nice one listed on craigs list down in san diego...you would have to sail/truck...it looked nice and its priced right...around low 50's...good luck...the 38's are a nice one.....:D

Thanks, I will look it up and get a quote from Dudleys if the boat looks good.
Cheers

rbonilla

yea...from what i see in the marketplace, unless you get "lucky"...one should be ready to truck/sail/transport the e38-200 of their dreams...find one..have cash ready to neg a great price...and move it to where you want it....there are some good lookin' deals out there right now....i am finally ready to drive out to so cali (from boulder) and pull back my recentally acquired e23...i should have it ready for some lake sailing by april or may...lookin' foward to getting back on the ericsons, while living in the mountains...once we head back to the coast (west), we will start lookin' for our e38-200...mid to late 80's...i am guessin' the prices should drop a bit mor by then....:rolleyes:

rbonilla

I amnot sure if you saw this one (in the bay area)...or even if it
sold or not....fyi.....:cool:

------------snip------------
ERICSON 38, 1981. New bottom 12/05. Newer interior,
dodger, roller furling, st winches, Autohelm, 32 hp
diesel, hydraulic backstay, refrigeration (not
installed). Great liveaboard, very comfortable.
$61,000, all offers considered. SELLER MOTIVATED.
(650) 438-5377 or (406) 870-0207.
---------------------------

rbonilla

there's a nice 81 fs on eBay this week...looks like it is set up for crusin...east coast...:nerd: (no persnl %)

rbonilla

$99k is way steep, unless it is in very nice (10+)
condition, outfitted w/state of the art electronics,
sails, and crusing gear....imho......you can scoop
up one for $50 - $75 k and sink some $$ into misc
improvements and still come out " $ ahead " if need
be.....the values of used e38's seem to me, to be
getting better and better ... i am watching the
1983's - 1990's ..... mk III's (i think the mdl number
is).... good luck !! there a nice mdl ericson.....:D

Hi,
We're looking for the same thing! Let's be sure we don't end up bidding against each other..ha! ;)

Did you see the E38 listed in Sequim for $99 - seemed a bit steep. There's also that older E41 in BC that is really nice.

I'm actually looking for an 80's E34, 35, or 38, so if you run across any in your search that you're not interested in, let me know! I'd be interested in any info you learn to watch out for as you look at them.

Thanks,
Sue