Water in bilge - E34

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Note B: if your refrigerated ice box is accumulating a lot of condensation, you need to immediately put a thin sponge rubber gasket around the lid. The 1/8 inch "window insulation foam" they sell in rolls at the hardware store works great for this.
Loren - I’m sidetracking here from OP, sorry about that - wouldn’t putting that strip of insulation tape prop the lid up and prevent it from lying flush and sealing better?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren - I’m sidetracking here from OP, sorry about that - wouldn’t putting that strip of insulation tape prop the lid up and prevent it from lying flush and sealing better?
Indeed it could. Altho having the lid be a sixteenth proud will not change the "seal" since the thin foam is doing the sealing. Ours sits slightly proud - maybe a 32nd - if anyone notices. Note that the slightly uneven mating surface, flange and bottom of lid, is where air infiltrates in the first place. So the foam just flattens and makes the 'seal'.
Also, be sure to used some cold-moldable putty around the hole where the coolant tubing enters the box.
Third, I added some one-inch rigid foam, foil covered, to the bottom of the lid. EY had not insulated the top, perhaps to be able to certify a max. cubic inches of ice box capacity? I dunno.