WATER ON THE CABIN FLOOR

julibell

Member II
I HAVE NOTICED SOME WATER ON THE CABIN FLOOR OF MY E-29 AND CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT WHERE IT IS COMING FROM. THE BOAT IS ON THE HARD. DOES NOT SEEM TO BE MAST SEEPAGE, OR A LEAKY HATCH. ANY IDEAS FOLKS ///

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Water is coming down the mast. Water after a rain coming down from "inside" the mast is pretty common and ends up in the bilge. Seems your water intrusion is down the outside of the mast from the deck. Check it out. Needs some sealant. Sure wish we knew which Ericson you own...and what year! Might help diagnose the leak.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Water is coming down the mast. Water after a rain coming down from "inside" the mast is pretty common and ends up in the bilge. Seems your water intrusion is down the outside of the mast from the deck. Check it out. Needs some sealant. Sure wish we knew which Ericson you own...and what year! Might help diagnose the leak.
Note that the mast on the E-29 is probably deck stepped. Rain leaks might still occur if the mast base has not been re-bedded, tho.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Beat me to it Loren, Julibell is there water in the bilge too or is it just pooling on cabin sole ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Time to look for an inside source....
Water tank or its fittings? Accumulated melt water in the ice box? Stored-and-forgotten bottled water that burst?
???

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Well it's got to be something that will run directly on to the cabin sole. So do to where the water is the mast collar is the first suspect and any overhead hatch/vent in the area. Is the boat sitting level ? If not look upstream and above as it wouldn't take much incline to make water run away from the source.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
THE BOAT IS ON THE HARD.
With boat on the hard, the boat likely has a different tilt than when floating. Many yards like to raise the bow a little bit when blocking it on the hard. If so, the leak could be ANYWHERE forward of where it winds up pooling.

This happened to me on my first haul out. Leak was from a poorly sealed potable water deck fill (forward of the mast) and water ran down and aft all the way to the back corner of the galley floor.

Start removing cabinet doors and drawers (anything that gives you a good look at where the flooring meets the side of the hull) and work your way forward. I had to remove the stbd water tank to find that water was running down the sidewall (below the deck fill), then under the stbd setee and water tank and galley cabinets before pooling on the galley sole.

Gaviate

Member III
I had to remove the stbd water tank to find that water was running down the sidewall (below the deck fill), then under the stbd setee and water tank and galley cabinets before pooling on the galley sole.
Good description, prime example that water will find its own way....and the path of gravity is the thing to follow backwards to find the source. My 27 had a leak that was wetting the starboard cushion. Finally found while visiting the boat in the rain. Water dripping out of missing screw hole on trim above seat (where wires run), opened this up to find water running along a suspended section of wire that crossed onto and over the cabin ceiling, with a light and inspection mirror was able to follow moisture to cubby cabinet and mounting of compass on cabin top which was the source. If you'd rather not wait for the next rain, ask somebody to hold a hose, may be helpful...