what are these

chip50

Member II
on the left side of the boat near the top edge of the boat even with the mast there are 2 circles 1 is a little smaller than other, on my boat the ericson 25 what ever they are rusted off....i painted them for now but they appear to be rubber plugs or something...i see them in pics of other boats,,,they are in the same spot as mine. let me go over this again, this on top of the boat near the edge on the left side even with the mast. i cant see what it is from the inside of the boat either...also i found a key that says deck key,,, and cant find where it supposed to go,,,or open. can anybody tell me these things please.....thanks chip

Mike.Gritten

Member III
It sounds to me like you may be referring to the water tank fills and the head pump-out (I always thought it odd that they put them right next to each other!) You should be able to unscrew them like a bolt if you can find the right deck key for your particular brand of fittings.
Just watch, I'll be way off when we find out what these actually are! Anyway, that's my guess. :nerd:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
By the late 80's Ericson was using "deck fills" that had a depression in the center of the SS plug that fits a winch handle. That's what they put on our boat, anyway. Kind of handy, not having to find a misplaced "deck key" on the one hand, less good when using a lock-in handle this way ruins the locking tab on the end of the stud! (Which the prior owner had done.)

I rebuilt both the handles that came with our boat and purchased a spare 8" cheap poly handle with a square alum drive stud just for the deck fittings...
:)

Or, are my experiences no help at all?

If you have a digi camera, a small picture would help.

Best,
Loren in Portland, OR

chip50

Member II
thanks guys,,, you both are prpbably right ...deck fills and pump outs ,,,mine are completly rusted off and look useless.. or have been changed to rubber plugs of some sort....but i do have a head but i believe it has a holding tank and ports out the front side left side...but i have not been able to find where to fill the fresh water...that probably is where......your great... chip n angela