What sextant ?

Lew Decker

Member III
:esad::esad::esad:

Whoops. I remember that I paid $340 for my Tamaya, and that included the 7X scope. I just punched up the current offerings. All I can say is, "Dang!"

Since celestial navigation via sextant has been reduced to hobby status, you could use any type that falls into a decent price range. People have circumnavigated with the Davis instruments, so...

I also know of at least one cruising boat that made it out to Hawaii by following jet contrails. Hmmm. Maybe that's an old sailing myth?

I actually sailed to Tortola from St. Pete on a delivery and took exactly one star sight. True story. There were a lot of contrails.:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Sky and Sextant" is indeed easy to understand. (Relatively speaking...)
It has been on my bookshelf for many years. When you want even more reasons to have a sextant handy, read his other book "Shoreline and Sextant".

I may never need/ to utilize this technology for my local sailing, but his books are accessible and understandable even for duffers like me.

Loren
(sailing 90 miles inland from the ocean.)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Dusting off an old thread.

I feel like relearning celestial. No particular reason other than a combination of long winter nights and the recognition that it was an interesting discipline.

I have my trusty old sextant, I have my HO-229, I ordered a 2020 almanac from Amazon, I figure I can use my GPS-sync'd watch as a chronometer. I might even go completely old-school and dig out my "star-finder" although the "stellarium" app on my phone is pretty amazing.

Given that it's been more than 20 years since I did my last sight reduction, I gotta believe the craft has evolved. Anyone have a favorite self-teaching book (I was once a fan of Blewitt's book, but open to suggestions.), a favorite sight-reduction form, or other hot tips?

Bruce

Last edited: