What source for rubber bumpers for cockpit lockers?

peaman

Sustaining Member
Attached image shows the last survivor of the original 7 bumpers for the cockpit locker lids on my E32-3, others are worn to bare screws. Where can I find a small number of suitable bumpers (other than amazon)? This one is about 3/4" diameter and 1/2" high, with probably a #8 sheet metal screw.

Attachments

• 967A0388-9FF9-4629-ACF5-170EF44D9A57.jpeg
    967A0388-9FF9-4629-ACF5-170EF44D9A57.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 4

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just take one to your local neighborhood hardware store. Inexpensive to replace. They might be the "3/4 inch size" but check for yourself. I replace all of ours about every 5 years or so. They come in white or black color rubber. They seem to be degraded by exposure to atmosphere, since where they are they certainly do not see any UV.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Huh. I always figured there was supposed to be a rubber gasket under there. Not that it ever leaks, normally, but I'm imagining if the cockpit gets pooped by a wave.

But FWIW, all kinds of options spring up on Amazon if you search "rubber equipment feet" or "rubber equipment bumper." I found a very sturdy set there for the SCUBA compressor a while back.

Another worthwhile bit of gear for the cockpit locker lid is a pneumatic gas strut or lid-lifter to keep it from slamming closed. I'm always stepping around the open hatch in my bare feet (or reaching out from the inside of it with my fingers). And I've heard sad tales of 1) someone like me getting stuck inside when the wind slammed the lid closed and 2) a youtube personality who almost lost a couple of toes when one slammed shut. I've scavenged a few struts from old equipment being junked, but they're not very expensive on Amazon.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When descending alone into the darkness beneath the cockpit, laden with tools and contorted in irreversible ways, I always leave a note in case I am unable to get back. It contains my Internet passwords and the location of the family trust.

My note says DNR, but of course that's an individual choice.

peaman

Sustaining Member
When descending alone into the darkness beneath the cockpit, laden with tools and contorted in irreversible ways, I always leave a note in case I am unable to get back. It contains my Internet passwords and the location of the family trust.

My note says DNR, but of course that's an individual choice.
Being stuck with your belt hung up on the water heater relief valve is not a good way to leave this world.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
unthreaded bumpers

peaman

Sustaining Member
unthreaded bumpers

McMaster is another source that I should have thought of. They have a huge range of stuff for allsorts of needs. Thanks for this reminder.

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
Safety idea (from my local sailing school / chartering place):

One can swap the latch fitting on the locker so the hinged part (hasp?) is on the hull, locking ring (staple?) on the locker. That way if the locker slams closed on you, the hasp cannot fall onto the staple and lock you in.

A related thing is to have a snap-hook to use to keep the locker latch closed (e.g. if knocked down), also tied to the staple (ring). That way you can't lose it, but better, since it will now be on the locker lid, when the locker is open you can (assuming proper length of securing line) use it to clip the lid to the lifelines, again reducing chance of getting stuck.

Though having a friend present just in case seems best; at a minimum they can regale you with appropriate commentary while they drink beer and you curse doing repairs in the confines below :)

Question: has anyone here added a gasket to their cockpit lockers? I believe this may be recommended (required?) by some singlehanded sailing societies, which also require rapid-draining cockpits. I am thinking of adding these (would take the place of the bumpers; mine are also decaying); any advice appreciated on best ones to use and best way to secure / install gaskets to fiberglass.