What Transmission in 32-200?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Had my mechanic change the oil and transmission fluid today when he discovered the tranny showed nothing on the dipstick. He thinks the O ring might be leaking at the shifter module.

He called his marine transmission guru who told him he should be able to remove the shaft and replace the O ring still in the boat.

After searching here and reading many posts about Hurths and their replacements, I was wondering, what is the transmission in my boat attached to that Universal 25?

Happy Holidays!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
My money's with Loren

I think it is likely the HBW 50, too. They don't do so well without oil in 'em.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Anyone here have their's rebuilt with success? It is operating fine, just leaking.

Any recommendations on which one to replace it with and where to buy?

Thanks

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Here is another three including my struggles with the swap.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?6207-Hurth-Transmission-Woes&highlight=Zf10

One possible source for a trans is Hansen marine.

Thanks Keith, Brian and everyone.

Our plan is to remove the HBW50 tomorrow and take it to the shop (next marina down the bayou from us) and have a look.

In the meantime I discovered that the ZF10 is on back order (one dealer told me not till February). However, I did locate two (one should be ready by January 1st and the other is in the UK).

I am very conservative when it comes to aux power. I'd hate to get stuck in the Pensacola pass with an aircraft carrier behind me...LOL!

Keith, my mechanic tells me we should be able to slide the prop shaft back 1 inch without difficulty, lets pray!

Last edited:

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
You might be doing this right now, but why replace? Can't your repair it? Sometimes the seals are damaged by having lubricant spray applied unintentionally, like using PB Blaster to loosen the nuts on the studs for the exhaust riser right above the transmission. Have you tried reapplying Dexron transmission fluid to see where the leak is? Good luck, I agree that's what the transmission should be on an M25 or M25XP.

newgringo

Member III
Hi. A PO replaced the ZF5 in our E32-3 with an M25 engine to a ZF10. It developed problems so I attempted an overhaul. Got the shimming wrong and after $500 in parts it failed. Local Marine (Hurth dealer) said they don't do overhauls. They just replace them. I did that. New ZF10 was about $1k and a lot of work.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Well after two and a half days, my mechanic got the tranny out and it is now sitting on the bench.

If the internals are ok, we might just get lucky enough to replace the seals and be in business.

If it's not ok, I'm going to have to order a ZF10M from the UK!!!

I need more scotch!:0

Shaggy

Member II
Hey there, Skabeeb -

If you end up having to replace the tranny, be sure to order the new one with the same exact gear ratio as your current one.

Long story short... Boatyard goons managed to crack the case on my perfectly good, 2-yr-old transmission. Evidently they were whacking the prop shaft with wild abandon in a futile attempt to extract it from the coupling...instead of using some more enlightened techniques found elsewhere on this board.

Anywhoooo, they replaced the tranny at their cost (and then jacked up the price of all the other repairs) and didn't bother to tell me until the boat was back in the water.

My original ZF-10 had a gear ratio of 1.79:1

The new ZF-10 they installed has a gear ratio of 2.08:1

Bottom line, I am now under-propped, thanks to their clown act. Not to mention they drained all the booze I foolishly left in my liquor locker.

I won't even let those bozos touch my boat again to try and rectify the situation, but enough about me...

Evidently ZF builds these transmissions with different gear ratios and the ratio number is stamped on the case. Be sure you order carefully.....

Good luck...!!

Shaggy