• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What's in a name?

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Not all - go ahead and do it and then we'll approve it. The only issue is that you remember it, because you'll need to login with it next time (though you can save the cookie 'Remember Me' so it's not that big a deal...).
I did not know it is so simple to change. Updated my user name to reflect the boats name and length, just now!

Teranodon

Member III
I did not know it is so simple to change. Updated my user name to reflect the boats name and length, just now!
Rocinante! Now that brings back memories of crewing on a hot Beneteau First 42 of that name on SF Bay in the late 1980s. The owner was a Silicon Valley entrepreneur and he spared no expense, so we were very competitive in a cut-throat fleet. We had some crazy adventures, including hitting the rocks at Point Bonita at night, and a spectacular dismasting in the middle of the Bay, both times under spinnaker. I left SF and lost touch with the campaign, but later read in Latitude 38 that Rocinante was lost when her new owner fell asleep on the way to Baja, and she went on the beach. So sad, but then, Rocinante was, in reality, a lame, half-starved nag that Don Quixote only imagined was his "noble steed". I guess she reverted.

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Filkee was digitally organic. In the AOL days some account set up Erik Filkorn as FilkE. At some point, I had to add a letter because of an account change and was living in NYC at the time. The never ending 970 ads on late night TV led me to the “Extra E”, but then Aimee Mann started calling me Filkee and it stuck. And if you get the 970 reference you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Our 35-2 is currently named Miss Scarlett. My partner loves the boat, hates the name. I see a renaming in the near future - or else someone might just scratch off letters until it's just "carl".
I decided to google the previous name: 5 O'clock Somewhere, and found that the previous owner used to post here under the handle Greenie. After going through all their previous posts I was relieved that not one of them involved any serious problems with the boat.:D

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Found a 24 year old photo from a couple of names (and owners) ago. Taken in Mexico by the looks of it.

Attachments

• 20220518_131711.jpg
    20220518_131711.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 19