• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What's in a name?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
This morning while I was browsing though the posts here on the site I was amused to see how many of us, not all but most, use a "Nom de plume" rather than our real names. Folks like Christian Williams don't but sailors like me do, just like the days when I was in my late teens....early twenty's, and CB radios were the rage. My handle then was "Mohawk". Don't ask me why I came up with that one because I'm not of American Indian decent (I'm 100% Polish) and I didn't have a Mohawk hair cut although my hair was, quite long, blonde....and not gray....like today. Anyway, my handle here is "Bolo" and I do have a story about it.

Back in the 90's when I was deep into being a freelance photographer, I was shooting on location in NYC for a national magazine. The magazine's art director accompanied me along with some other crew, which was the usual way back then, and after awhile she suggested sending someone out for some coffee. Someone was found to visit a local NYC corner deli and in a little while, after taking our orders.....cream, no cream, double sugars, etc...., our coffee orders returned. Each cup was marked with our names which the art director read out and distributed. She picked up the last one and said, "Who's Bolo?" Well, everyone had their coffee except for me....cream, no sugar....so by way of the process of elimination it was obviously mine but why was it marked "Bolo"? The answer came after close examination of the labeling. It was suppose to be "Bob" but, I guess in haste whoever printed my name got messy with the last letter "b", adding a space between the vertical line of the letter and the round part creating "l o" and so along with the other letters it read, "B o l o". The nick name stuck, at least for that art director, who used it for me once in awhile but always with a smile and sometimes a bit of a giggle. Fast forward to the day when I first signed in on the EYO web site and saw that many used their own "Nom de plumes", I decided to resurrect "Bolo"! Besides, most of you probably can't properly pronounce my last name, "Skalkowski", anyway let alone spell it. That I've learned from making reservations.

So how did you come up with your "Nom de plume" here on EYO? An interesting story? Hopefully a better one then mine, a name gotten form a mis-marked take-out coffee cup.

Teranodon

Member III
Way back in 1977, I moved from upstate New York to San Francisco, when I became a postdoc at the Stanford accelerator lab. I had done a little light sailing on Lake Cayuga, so I decided to learn the real thing on windy, choppy SF Bay. With a friend, I got a Cal 20 and started daysailing, racing. Among the many charms of the Bay were the flights of brown pelicans. They became my favorite birds, and still are. Anyway, when searching for a handle for my Ericson membership, I reflected on the physical resemblance between my beloved birds and the flying reptiles of prehistoric times, for example, pteranodons. Hence Teranodon.

1642975097757.png
In retirement, I sail my E34 on Puget Sound, which is too far north for pelicans, alas. So imagine my delight, a couple of years ago, when I spotted a solitary one on the Canadian side of the Haro Strait. With luck, global warming will bring even more.

P.S. Like OP Bob, I am 100% Polish, having spent a good part of my early years in Poland. So I could easily pronounce his name.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Way back in 1977, I moved from upstate New York to San Francisco, when I became a postdoc at the Stanford accelerator lab. I had done a little light sailing on Lake Cayuga, so I decided to learn the real thing on windy, choppy SF Bay. With a friend, I got a Cal 20 and started daysailing, racing. Among the many charms of the Bay were the flights of brown pelicans. They became my favorite birds, and still are. Anyway, when searching for a handle for my Ericson membership, I reflected on the physical resemblance between my beloved birds and the flying reptiles of prehistoric times, for example, pteranodons. Hence Teranodon.

View attachment 41494
In retirement, I sail my E34 on Puget Sound, which is too far north for pelicans, alas. So imagine my delight, a couple of years ago, when I spotted a solitary one on the Canadian side of the Haro Strait. With luck, global warming will bring even more.

P.S. Like OP Bob, I am 100% Polish, having spent a good part of my early years in Poland. So I could easily pronounce his name.
Being Polish my last name probably is easy for you to pronounce cause it’s a simple one as Polish names go but some of the pronunciations I’ve heard of it over the years have been hilarious. I’m very proud of my heritage and although I didn’t live in Poland I did live in the “Little Poland” section of Camden, NJ where Polish was the primary language.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Among the many charms of the Bay were the flights of brown pelicans. They became my favorite birds, and still are. Anyway, when searching for a handle for my Ericson membership, I reflected on the physical resemblance between my beloved birds and the flying reptiles of prehistoric times, for example, pteranodons. Hence Teranodon.
Thanks! I like the "big bird" reference for your name. We do have flocks of pelicans down river in the bay at Astoria. Not too common, and I have not viewed them every single year. I did not realize that you were not seeing them. It's fun to watch them glide effortlessly over the swells, always staying the same distance above the surface. Graceful flyers.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Mine's nothing particularly clever.... it's my first initial and last name.

But my CB handle was "landshark". Hmmmm,, maybe I should switch to that <lol>

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I wish I had thought about mine a little longer. I had no idea how valuable this site would be when I first signed up or how many people I honestly would like to meet in the real world. When I signed up, I just used my email address.

As for my email.... My freshman year in college I was setting up my university email and I misplaced the default password (you know, the one they say never lose this). I was too embarrassed to ask for help, so I set up a yahoo account. Every iteration of my name was taken, but I was a hockey player so I started trying hockey related names. HatTrick was long gone, so I just kept moving it around until I found something that wasn't already in use. When you don't put much thought into a name, you get what you get.

I never got around to using my university email address, and I just kept using the Trickdhat name. It's kind of weird when I end up meeting people and have to admit to being the trickdhat guy. Oh well.

Nick

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I grew up in Iowa and came east for grad school. (Prairie). I didn't start sailing until my late 40's, but quickly fell in love with it. (Schooner) I have very eclectic tastes in music, but one favorite band is Sons of the Pioneers. It seemed to fit. Nothing too profound.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Grew in to hated junior high nickname.

BTW: Have some pics somewhere of pelicans dive-bombing the salt/fresh boundary zone over the Columbia bar, right alongside the boat. But we also used to see them occasionally hundreds of miles up-river in the Hanford Reach, which is a huge migratory bird flyway and winter habitat.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I wish I had thought about mine a little longer. I had no idea how valuable this site would be when I first signed up or how many people I honestly would like to meet in the real world. When I signed up, I just used my email address.

As for my email.... My freshman year in college I was setting up my university email and I misplaced the default password (you know, the one they say never lose this). I was too embarrassed to ask for help, so I set up a yahoo account. Every iteration of my name was taken, but I was a hockey player so I started trying hockey related names. HatTrick was long gone, so I just kept moving it around until I found something that wasn't already in use. When you don't put much thought into a name, you get what you get.

I never got around to using my university email address, and I just kept using the Trickdhat name. It's kind of weird when I end up meeting people and have to admit to being the trickdhat guy. Oh well.

Nick
Growing up in the Philly area when the Flyers were hot I remember the phrase "Hat Trick" very well.

woolamaloo

Member III
Woolloomooloo is a suburb of Sydney Australia. In 2002, when looking for a domain name for my own email account, I remembered a Monty Python sketch about the Philosophy Department of Woolamaloo. Luckily, they changed the spelling in their script. I would have never used "Woolloomooloo."

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our 35-2 is currently named Miss Scarlett. My partner loves the boat, hates the name. I see a renaming in the near future - or else someone might just scratch off letters until it's just "carl".
I confess that I did have to look up Miss Scarlett.... I knew I had seen a reference to it from a UK TV show. Never (yet) watched it, admittedly.
If starting over, I suggest "Raff Raff".... it would be great fun to evoke a bit of RHPS magic..... :)

Fun with names: reminds me of a staid and proper stockbroker I know with a C&C, named -- "Ruffian"...!

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
A Tin Kicker is the knick name for aircraft accident investigators, because a field of weathered aluminum debris has the look of scattered tin foil. Which you find yourself frequently kicking to get thru.

Not to be confused with people Pushing Tin - air traffic controllers.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I confess that I did have to look up Miss Scarlett.... I knew I had seen a reference to it from a UK TV show. Never (yet) watched it, admittedly.
If starting over, I suggest "Raff Raff".... it would be great fun to evoke a bit of RHPS magic..... :)

Fun with names: reminds me of a staid and proper stockbroker I know with a C&C, named -- "Ruffian"...!
Miss Scarlet reminds me of Gone With The Wind. :)

Navman

Member III
My handle, Navman came about as I was assigned as navigator on the boat I was on for the Annapolis Bermuda race in 2008. All teh guys on our boat started calling me Navman.

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
Hey @Sean Engle, I looked at my profile settings, and it looks like my username is just an ordinary setting that I can change. If I changed my username from my initials to my name, what would break? Would all my old posts start displaying my new username?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey @Sean Engle, I looked at my profile settings, and it looks like my username is just an ordinary setting that I can change. If I changed my username from my initials to my name, what would break? Would all my old posts start displaying my new username?
Not all - go ahead and do it and then we'll approve it. The only issue is that you remember it, because you'll need to login with it next time (though you can save the cookie 'Remember Me' so it's not that big a deal...).

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Alcodiesel is from my model railroad days. Alco is American Locomotive Company of Schenectady, N.Y.- long defunct. They built beautiful steam locomotives then switched to diesels. A diesel, RS3, was my first garden RR model.
So when email started I needed something and Alcodiesel became my address and has been since 1997. The Bronze age of them internet.