Where would you shop for an ICOM 802 SSB and Pactor Modem ?

Sven

Seglare
So far I've looked at

- Worst Marine (best price !)
- Defender
- Consumer Marine
- DockSideRadio

The prices are all quite similar.

Suggestions ?

Thanks,

-Sven

windjunkee

Member III
Sven,

I got the ICOM 710 and modem. I looked at all the prices on all the websites. I even shopped Ebay. Ultimately, I bought it from Maritime Communications in Marina Del Rey. They had competitive prices and I liked the service, though they are constantly backed up if you wanted them to come to the boat to do the install. I bought the radio, modem and tuner there. I got a great deal on the antenna elsewhere and then employed an independent to do the install for me. He did a great job but he has retired so I can't refer him. I'm still trying to talk him out of retirement for a little more work on VOR, but I'm not quite ready for the work so haven't gone the high pressure route yet.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Sven

Seglare
After seeing his writeup's in Lat 38, over the years, I wonder if he has some guidance to offer on such purchases?
http://www.gordonwestradioschool.com/

Well, it was just a thought, and before my morning coffee!

LB

Thanks Loren. I think I just had a flashback. Did I already ask that question and you already give me that answer about a year ago ? I sure remember something like that ... mind trailing off into the ....

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jim,

Ultimately, I bought it from Maritime Communications in Marina Del Rey.

Thanks, I'll ping them to see what they say.

We had the backstay antenna installed when we did the standing rigging but need everything else.

Thanks again,

-Sven

Lew Decker

Member III
Icom 802?

Sven - Any progress in the 802 hunt? I don't have any secrets. Have you tried Hamcity online? I don't know whether they would have the whole package, though. Just a thought. I also - in my tossing and turning the other night - figured out a way to use an insulated backstay as part of an off-center-fed dipole, or a modified Zepp, that would be a lot more efficient than a backstay alone. If the design were a high demand item, I'd go into the antenna business :) --- Good luck, my friend.

Sven

Seglare
Sven - Any progress in the 802 hunt?

I've gotten a few quotes from regular vendors. It looks like we're talking $5K for an 802 with the automatic antenna tuner and the Pactor III modem and cabling/ground plane. That's a lot of money for a radio and modem !

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You could also take a look at The GPS Store. I didn't see the modem listed, but the 802, tuner and control cable were a couple hundred less than Landfall.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Default.aspx

They had the best price I could find on a Standard Horizon VHF radio back in June.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Wow, $1500 difference. I'll go through the contents item by item but this looks much better !

It might be too good to be true:

Home > About Us

FAMILY BASED CHRIST CENTERED

RETURN POLICY

Items may be returned within the first 31 days for store credit or exchange only. There will be a 20% restocking fee. Shipping is not refundable. Please contact us by e-mail at Sonset@centurytel.net for a return authorization number. Items must be unused and in original condition.

SHIPPING

In stock items are shipped within 7 days after funds have cleared.

The return policy and shipping make it seem like a gamble. The eBay neutral/negative feedback pages also have some food for thought.

Still, 30% off is nothing to sneeze at ... :confused:

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Yeah, that's a tough call. When shopping for my VHF I saw some sites that were a bit better on pricing, but they really looked sketchy. I got burned several years ago on an eBay transaction so when things start not feeling right I usually opt for the safety factor and pay a little more.

It's one thing to take that chance on a $100 purchase and another to take it on a $3,000 purchase...

Sven

Seglare
It's one thing to take that chance on a $100 purchase and another to take it on a $3,000 purchase...

The reply I finally got to my question about whether their products were factory sealed and warranted vs. refurbished or gray market gives me the creeps:

We have either new with full factory warranty OR we have repack ones that come with a 60 day factory warranty. The repack ones I need a bit notice to make sure they are in stock AND best way to handle that is to get it one order as SOON as you can so if its not in stock now you have time to get it 'in stock' . Thanks and God Bless, Amanda

I'll strike them off the list but am still sincerely grateful for the suggestion.

-Sven

Lew Decker

Member III
whoops...

"We have either new with full factory warranty OR we have repack ones that come with a 60 day factory warranty. The repack ones I need a bit notice to make sure they are in stock AND best way to handle that is to get it one order as SOON as you can so if its not in stock now you have time to get it 'in stock' . Thanks and God Bless, Amanda."

Hmmm...I read that as two distinct entities - new and warranted, or repacked - implying there might be a price difference if one were to order the repacked goods. OR, the $3500 quote was for the repacked items. Not for me, either...:)

Over the years we've bought a few high-end products from online vendors. We've had a run of good luck until this this Christmas. I ordered a smallish HD TV - Panasonic 32" - to replace a TV my wife bought back when the dinosaurs ate the crops. The company has a huge website and sells your basic variety pack of incredible electronic goodies. When the TV showed up, though, it was obviously a returned item since even the foam packing inside the box was torn up. Unfortunately, arguing with the company would have cost me an additional $50 shipping tag, several headaches dealing with the return, and no Christmas present for my bride. We elected to plug it in and see. Happy daze, it worked phyne.

Let us know how it goes with the 802. There is a marine version - Icom 801...I wonder what the price difference is?

On another subject, I bought a huge genoa from Lee Sails years ago. I was impressed with the workmanship and overall quality of the sail and would have bought another in a heartbeat. I think you will be happy.