Which is your favorite way to whip the end of a sheet or other boat lines.....

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I use the Toss method and just push the needle through on a small textured cutting board. Digging out the palm seems like overkill for a quick job.

I also wrap my cut spot with painters tape before making the cut, do my whipping below the tape, and then burn the end with the tape on. If you get it right it’s like roasting marshmallows. The tape is little brown on the outside and the line is a little gooey on the inside. Tape slides right off leaving a clean end.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I also wrap my cut spot with painters tape before making the cut, do my whipping below the tape, and then burn the end with the tape on.
Most every cut needs two whippings. I decide where the cut should be, figure out where to start the first whipping, move on to the second whipping, and finally cut the line between the two. Two whippings justifies using the palm, and no need to dig out a roll of tape.

Personally, I like a soft fuzzy tip: no hard plastic or sharp edges, and no need for extra gear for that. I had a rigger paint and rework my mast a couple years ago. I was a little irritated to find that he had melted the ends of my nicely whipped halyards.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Proud Dad moment this weekend, she whipped her first line! This image did have me rethinking my theory on my preferred method of whipping, but she only got herself once.
Future Astronaut Perhaps?:geek:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
for the amount of ropes and fabrics to cut on a boat, I justified a hot knife:
So True. I am lucky to be in a DIY-oriented yacht club. We have two of these in our shop for members to use. We use them for all of the tie downs and towing lines for the club, of course.

Attachments

• Hot Knife.jpg
    Hot Knife.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1