Why buy an Ericson?

Bardo

Member II
All,
I have been haunting this board on and off since last July. I have been searching for a boat, with varying degrees of seriousness for all of that time. I have now sold my Bristol 29 and am looking more seriously again for that next great love in my life (please don't tell my wife). I have read the Tartan, Pearson, Freedom, and Bristol boards. I have followed threads in Sailnet, the Classic Glass site and others. I have looked at schooners, cat ketches, and all other manner of interesting rig. I just wanted to say that I keep coming back to the Ericson, not necessarily because it is the best boat out there, but because the Ericson owners, as represented here and in person (where I can find them) are routinely the nicest, most laid back and faithful sailors that I have met (except when I impugned the honor of your boats by questioning their "blue water" capabilities in a certain thread that refuses to die). So thanks for hosting such a great community on line. I look forward to (soon) being a part of your Ericson owners group. I know where the cool kids hang out.
Best to all,
Freeman

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hang in there!

Freeman,
Whatever kinda boat you fall in love with, do stick around here and exchange information. All these "maintenance-free fiberglass boats" (Ha! Remember those ads from the 50's?) need similar repair and upgrades as they age.

As to the niceness of the owners here, they are indeed a great group... and by participating in a positive manner, you also foster that very behavior.
:egrin:

Happy hunting, and remember, we spent a year looking for a boat "about 30 feet or so" long... and then stumbled upon the Olson 34. And that was about a day after my offer was turned down for a late model E-32-200.

Little did I know that an Ericson-built boat for us was mean't to be!

;)

Loren

Last edited:

Capt. Max

Member II
I love my E27 Pipe Dream, its the first ericson that I ever saw, I bought it.
The second ericson I saw , my friend bought. He loved mine so much.
I hated to loose him, he was my first mate. He bought an E25 named tiki.
I think they are great boats and everyone here treats me great.
Thanks all of you.:egrin:

Trucker Doug

Member II
Ericson made a great boat. I recently bought my 2nd of the brand and am preparing to list a 30+ soon, right here in the bay!
OK,OK, But seriously, you won't be disapointed. That 30+ sold me to get off my wallet and get my 38.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
That is a personal question, but if I had to make some general statements about the boats and the guys that own them...The boats were well designed and built of solid stock that has held up very well with time. To find one in good condition is not hard, not because they were kept by only the meticulous types, but because with moderate attention by an owner who cares and doesn't abuse/neglect his boat it will last for ever. For some people it's about having the newest, prettiest thing to impress the people at the yacht club with, they usually have the less than three year old Hunter and put it up for sale before the shine comes off and it falls apart after mostly sitting at the dock. For others It is about value and a quality experience in sailing. Ericsson owners fall squarely in the later group. An Ericson owner can command respect at the club as a serious sailer with quality machinery, can better than hold his own against craft 20-40 years newer at any race, can go with confidence to almost any corner of the globe, and can take on guests that will be impressed with the elegant appointment of her classic lines and rich, real interior. No one thinks of an Ericson as an antique because it is still throughly modern, and unlike, say a classic car, is not relegated to only being used on special occasions. The owners are very much a reflection of their boats, for Ericson owners that generally means versatile, serious, dependable and unpretentious. Doesn't that match well with your experience with this forum and the owners you ran into on te docks? Seems to me that there is nothing bad to say about being an Ericson owner and allot to admire in one. So why buy an Ericson? ...Why not??? Only the best kind of people own them, the kind who never pondered the question cause the already had the answer!

n

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
Trading up from a B29

My partner and I just bought an Ericson 34 and we are selling my Bristol 29. My Bristol is an elegant plastic classic, a real head turner, and after many improvements, I never intended to sell her:egrin:. But, after several long weekend excursions, I had to admit that more storage and more speed would be nice. After several passionate arguments about which boat to upgrade to, (the only thing we argue about) we realized THAT THERE WAS A SAILBOAT WE COULD AGREE ON!. So we bought "Island Girl", in Satellite Beach Florida, and in May, after ugrading the electronics, we will sail her to Maine! I sailed her with the broker and the seller and was very impressed. Best of luck in your search.

James and Tracy

Bud H.

Member II
One of our friends out at the marina sold his Catalina 30 and bought an Island Packet a couple of years ago and left our inland waterway for the salt water of Puget Sound. Walt’s a great guy but he’s not someone who dishes out compliments often. That’s why I was surprised when a group of us were having dinner and he volunteered that our 35’ Erickson with her classic lines was the best looking boat on the dock. I hear it all the time and I couldn’t agree more.

Bardo

Member II
Saltbox,

When you are transiting to Maine, please send me a PM and plan to stop if we are on your sail plan. We live on the Chesapeake, in Port Republic, which is mid-Bay, about 12 miles north of Solomons Island. We would love to visit with you and see your new boat. I loved my B29 Black Pearl. What sweet lines and she sailed like a champ. I brought her up from neglected donation boat to "Bristol Fashion" Pardon the pun, and sold her in one month for full price. I was lucky, but I intend to work hard to find the next right boat, and not take the most convenient. Maine to Florida is my search area. We are also looking for a place in Maine, so any ideas are welcomed! Thanks to all, and especially to those who have contacted me about their E boats.

Best regards,
Freeman