• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Why Ericson keels are low aspect ratio

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This handsome couple decided to make their lives a reality show.

Then they encountered reality.

Such a high aspect keel is designed for racing efficiency, makes for great challenge in connection to the hull, and on an old boat is a poor choice for world cruising.

Skip around if interested in the keel, otherwise the video is Calvin Klein models having a bad shoot.

Drewm3i

Member III
This handsome couple decided to make their lives a reality show.

Then they encountered reality.

Such a high aspect keel is designed for racing efficiency, makes for great challenge in connection to the hull, and on an old boat is a poor choice for world cruising.

Skip around if interested in the keel, otherwise the video is Calvin Klein models having a bad shoot.

Beneteau strikes again? Ouch.

David Vaughn

E31 Independence - Decatur AL
Blogs Author
Low aspect ratio, and for some of them, mine for instance, encapsulated lead.
If there’s a performance trade off for that, I can live with it. Thanks Bruce King.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of "world cruising" it's worth remembering that some industry commentators thought the (relatively) long fin keel on the Valiant 40 was kind of radical when it was put into production. Interestingly enough, that combination of a conservative fin combined with a strong spade rudder became the de facto standard for crossing oceans in the decades that followed.
And yes, a deeper higher aspect fin keel can, in theory, be more efficient, but to me it produces a more difficult boat to steer. i.e. the "groove" is narrower. YMMV...

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Watched the video up the Huge Crack Revelation. At that point, and considering the additional problems inherent in a corroding sail drive unit, I can imagine all the Ericson (and Olson) owners running out and giving their vessel a big smooch. And, drinking a toast to Bruce King and to the engineers and build crews at the EY factory ! :egrin:

The "Beny" sure does have a large party-size interior, though.........

Last edited:

Gaviate

Member III
and for some of them, mine for instance, encapsulated lead
The same with my 27. In my future there may be another boat but it also will have an encapsulated keel. Even an Ericson with bolt-on keel is off the list. I've earned my bias honestly having run EmGee HARD aground (big rocky shelf 3 ft below the surface) at 6 knots, and loosing only a 2 inch chunk of lead out of the leading edge of the keel. If it had been a bolted keel, pretty sure I would have been re-floated bottoms up.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Speaking of "world cruising" it's worth remembering that some industry commentators thought the (relatively) long fin keel on the Valiant 40 was kind of radical when it was put into production. Interestingly enough, that combination of a conservative fin combined with a strong spade rudder became the de facto standard for crossing oceans in the decades that followed.

Bob Perry mused about that on the occasion of his induction into the National Sailing Hall of Fame last fall. What was considered radical (and unsafe offshore!!!!, according to all the magazine articles in the day) turned out to be a really solid and effective blue-water design.

I doubt the deep fin/T-bulb configuration will stand the same test.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Empathy for their situation. It's got to be devastating.
If we won the lottery, we'd keep Kismet and do upgrades.
Mostly I'm reacting to them broadcasting video of themselves in this moment. With my words tripping over my brain it's hard enough for me communicate what I want with Donna. I can't imagine adding a camera to the conversation.

Last edited:

Gaviate

Member III
So to get back on topic, the real problem presented in the video is not so much keel design, but rather who is handling your boat. The lift operator, assistants or any other marina staff involved in hoisting and moving boats of any design should NOT conduct themselves in a manner that causes damage to someone's boat. "Oops", to say the least, is a ridiculous notion.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Oy! That’s horrifying. Agree that the yard should have been more attentive, but it seems like there isn’t much margin of error built into that design. If an Ericson or other low aspect ratio keel boat was similarly placed several degrees off plumb on its keel it seems like it wouldn’t really be an issue? Especially not the boat practically breaking in half!

Vtonian

E38 - Vashon
I'd sure like to think there is a section in the owners manual about handling those boats for haulouts. Anybody else watch The Sailing Frenchman, or The Mariner? Theyve both made comments about the importance of selecting and overseeing any haulouts for their special needs boats. Makes sense to me.