Will someone explain to me what's going on here? (Ericson 32)

nich

Hello all!

This is one of my first posts here and after lurking for quite some time, I am making one of my first posts!

I recently acquired an Ericson '32. I have been cleaning things up and researching maintenance on the boat.

Upon checking the bilge area I noticed the tubes running near the bilge are looking to need replacement. Any recommendations where to start? This is my first boat and I apologize if this is a dumb question, just don't know who else to ask! Photo / video below for reference. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 27

tenders

Innocent Bystander
"Tubes." Hmmm, around here we'd refer to those as "hoses" and you're going to want to become familiar with where each one starts and stops. They have generally been replaced, upgraded, and customized on each hull over the years, and what we're looking at here probably go FROM the fresh water tank (in the bow?) through an electric pump or series of hand/foot pumps, possibly through a water heater, to each faucet and shower on board.

You'll also find hoses associated with the bilge pump(s), engine intake, cockpit drains, and cooler drain. It is of paramount importance that every single one that connects to a fitting that goes through the boat be in good repair, connected with two hose clamps for redundancy, and attached to a solid through-hull fitting that can be closed safely and effectively. Boats sink every single day when a through-hull fitting or hose fails.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
To clean that out, you're going to need a wet/dry vac, a lot of degreaser like Simple Green, a couple of brushes that you never want to see again, and a few huge rolls of paper tower. Task one is to get the existing water out of there - but the bilge is shallow, it's probably a lot less water than you think. Task two is to get all the dirt out of there. Task three is to do your darndest to keep future water out, which will be the largest challenge of all.

I keep a small $30 wet/dry vac from Home Depot on the boat. Keep in mind that small vacs cannot LIFT water very high, but they can drag it sideways pretty well. And, assuming it's salt water, which it isn't necessarily, make sure you get it out of the vac motor or you'll be replacing it soon.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello all!

This is one of my first posts here and after lurking for quite some time, I am making one of my first posts!

I recently acquired an Ericson '32. I have been cleaning things up and researching maintenance on the boat.

Upon checking the bilge area I noticed the tubes running near the bilge are looking to need replacement. Any recommendations where to start? This is my first boat and I apologize if this is a dumb question, just don't know who else to ask! Photo / video below for reference. Thank you so much!

Not sure of the year (vintage) of your E-32 but our ‘73 E-32 had copper tubing that size used for the fresh water system pump in the head and galley sink.

Alas, THAT (darn solid) tubing in the head area used to frustratingly rattle as the pressure pump kicked in every time as well.

Our refit has circumvented the old system and been replaced with a softer fresh water approved hose system that now makes NO obnoxious noise every time the pressure system is used.

Yours may not be making the obnoxious vibration sounds like ours did and function perfectly well - but - money is bet on what you posted as simply being your fresh water supply and delivery system.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Also look around to see where that oily greasy stuff came from. Leaking fuel tank? Fuel filters or fittings? Maybe an oil change gone badly and dumped in the bilge? Mine looked similar and was from a leaking fuel tank. Cleanup as per Tenders advice. Gross but worth it so you won’t mind working in the bilge when you replace all the hoses. Good luck with it!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Also looks like copper flare-tube Tee’s jammed into plastic tubes. :oops: There are much cheaper and more durable plastic Tee’s actually made for that.
???

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Your first boat is a 32 footer?
My sailboat is too. It can be single-handed, is a great size, and the alternatives were the Catalina 30 or Pearson 323.

FWIW - I'm pretty comfortable on the water, having grown up on a lake and just spent a month living on the 170 footer in the background as Project Manager for recovery of a wrecked airplane. This was the 6th water recovery I've been part of.
DSC00195-X4.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Echoing other advice here about cleaning it up !
Looks like a cleanup is about 30 years overdue. :(
I would first restore the environs to a clean condition. Yes, it's messy work, and that's the main reason the prior owners chose to ignore it. Several days of cleaning, and a bunch of disposable towels later it will look newish again. Then get out a pencil and pad and diagram out the present system of hoses and tubing.
In my case, I replaced the OEM plastic semi-rigid tubing in our fresh water system with flexible hose (with an FDA approved liner) and barbed fittings. Ours is an 80's Ericson, and each era will have the builder's system choices for plumbing.
Nothing wrong with it when it was new, but materials evolve. I would not run copper tubing thru the bilge, altho EY did that for the fuel supply tubing in our boat (and I replaced it with USCG-approved hose).
Let us know how the restoration goes and do post up some pix of the area after it's de-gunked.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I’ll take the under on Loren’s time estimate. The drier you can get it before you start cleaning, the more effective the degreaser is. That’s a couple of hours of spritzing, scrubbing, wiping, and vacuuming. If the bilge stays dry, after a week or two I’d also recommend a heavy coat of Bilgecote paint in the grey color. It’s a durable coating that makes future cleaning much easier. However, it does not (nor does any other paint) stick to a wet or greasy base, it fails if kept submerged for long, and it doesn’t/can’t resist prolonged contact with fuel, so you might want to wait a while before painting to see how that environment fares.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Nich,

Please fill out your profile with boat model, year and engine.

Then click on your name and add that info to your signature line, and the info will appear automatically under each of your posts ( as most of us have done).

Oh, and ask any question you can think up. The identification of your exact boat will make answers specific.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That’s a couple of hours of spritzing, scrubbing, wiping, and vacuuming.
First you should dress for the occasion.....
"Spritzing" calls for full regalia! i.e. a proper helmet!
:egrin:

Attachments

• norsemen.jpg
    norsemen.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My sailboat is too. It can be single-handed, is a great size, and the alternatives were the Catalina 30 or Pearson 323.

FWIW - I'm pretty comfortable on the water, having grown up on a lake and just spent a month living on the 170 footer in the background as Project Manager for recovery of a wrecked airplane. This was the 6th water recovery I've been part of.
DSC00195-X4.jpg
Welcome back - we haven't heard from you in a while. Glad to have you involved, as I have been working on a small electrical project.

Where was this plane crash?

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Tin Kicker,

Now that you have admitted to having stories, here is my pitch. The Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club (CBEC) has had monthly virtual meetings since September, guest speakers include, Loren Beach, Seth Morrel, and Sean Engel. December's guest spear is Mark Blace, retired Coast Guard Commander.

Bottom Line: Can I convince you to be the January guest speaker?

Note: Reach out to any of the above previous speakers for confirmation of a fun evening had by all.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I'm honored and you know I enjoy being part fo the Club when able to attend.
But the things I'd talk know enough to talk about would have virtually nothing to do with sailing or Ericson.

Bob