• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Windlass, finally

Brisdon

Inactive Member
well, I've finally done it. After five years of dragging a 35 lb anchor and 50 ft of chain up by hand, I have bought the electric windlass. OK, the wire for this thing could cable a bridge. What's the best place to run this thing, any suggestions (Ericson 35-2). I guess I could run it through those open storage boxes on the under side of the deck and then go down in the hanging lockers to under the salon seats? Or should I go to the botttom of the chain locker and under the v berth cushions? Where has everyone else hide this enormous cable? I bought a wireless remote for the thing so that I wouldn't have to drill the deck up for foot switches. I will let you know how it works. I don't know anyone who has this feature so I have no idea if they work very well. It's like a big experiment. Thanks in advance for suggestions on the cable. :confused:

hodo

Member III
windlass

I have a Battery under the V berth and that reduces the size of cable needed to run aft, assuming you only use that battery for the windlass. You would need to size your wires to only charge the battery. Be careful to wire it so you won't be able to pull current from another battery inadvertantly,as this would smoke the wiring. Have fun, it will be interesting to here how the wireless feature works out. HODO

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I already invested in 100 ft of #2 cable. I was so much cheaper to get the whole spool at wholesale price than to buy half that at retail. You have a great idea though, with the windlass batery up front. I guess you could charge it with something like a Duocharge system to sip off the house bank. Interesting Idea, thanks.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
When I redid all my wiring, I looked at the areas you describe, and decided to run it all high, along the hull just under the headliner, drilling holes through the bulkheads, to reduce the potential for damage. Despite the advertising for modern marine cable, I wanted to keep it high and dry, and put a strip of mahogony alongside to hide it. Now that I am replacing the deck, I am going to have to install some new headliner and hide it behind that instead.

That is the only wire that did not get submerged in the hurricane.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

jmoses

Member III
Couple items for contemplation

Placing a battery in the bow to save on cabling is placing about 60-75 pounds of lead where you don't need it, in the bow area.....It's bad enough having a 50+ pound windlass, 35lb anchor (?) and the rode and chain all up there. Another 50-75 pounds pounds of lead is gonna trim out your boat fairly bow heavy, especially with a full water tank.

Then you have to secure the battery VERY well as the bow takes a beating in any seaway and I'd hate to see a battery flying around in the forepeak. Also, if you sleep up there in the forepeak, I'm not sure I'd want to be breathing battery off gassing fumes when its charging. So adequate ventilation is a must, but still, I don't think I'd want to breath the gas. Also, an acid proof box with a lid is a must as there's nothing like battery acid to eat through anything it touches. Then you'll need ventilation as battrey gasses are explosive in high concentration.

Having gone the cable route, it was not too bad I don't recall the wire size, but it was not all that big.....maybe 1/0 or 2/0 at most, but keepin mind the wiring sixe is calculated both to and from the item. So what would be a 25' run to the bow is actually a 50 foot run (you calculate both Pos and Neg lengths). I ran them from the battery banks under the aft port settee, up to a 100 amp breaker on the nav station area, then back down underneath the dining sette secured to the vertical seat support, through the main bulkhead with chafe guards, under the sink area secured to the inside of the vertical facia, then through the head closet, then up over the top of the water tank run through clear hose to prevent any possibility of chafe and short circuiting, then finally up into chain locker and control box. The cables are well hidden and unless pointed out, you'd never know they are there. I guesstimate it took about a good day or so to cut, crimp and secure the cables up to the bow area (I have a '72 E-35 MKII as well).

If thinking the battery in the bow route, which I discourage, then you'll need to think about running alternator charging wires to the battery if mounted in the bow as an AC charger will do you no good at sea. If the engine's charging circuit is not hooked into the windlass battery, it will drain the life out of it in short order when doing a few pull ups and drops to get good holding ground. So, to be safe, you'll need AC charging wires run forward to charge at the dock, engine alternator wires run up forward as well and circuitry to keep it all straight, otherwise a BBQ will be in order and that smell of burning wires will be all to familiar.

If it was my boat (and I did it this way on mine), I'd wire up the windlass via the house banks and run the cables so as to have redundancy when running the windlass. AT least then I have two batteries and the engine replacing the amperage draw with the windlass running and they do draw a bit of amperage when loaded down. My Lofrans Progress 1 1,000 watt can pull up to 75 amps if really loaded. Not to mention it's always good practice to have the engine running when pulling the anchor to keep the charge voltage up on the batteries. Otherwise, the undervoltage conditions present with no repacement charge will shorten the windlass motor's life span in short order as the battery too. Not to mention, the motor should be on to control the boat anyway.

As for the remote, I installed it at the helm station near the engine panel so I can be at the helm and engine controls while running the windlass, but I did install an "Up" foot switch on the fore deck becuase if the remote gets baked or gets dropped over board, at least you can pull the anchor up with the low voltage foot switch on the foredeck with out resorting to a manual winch handle. Plus, it's good practie to have a crew mwmbwr on the fore deck to direct the operation and bring in the last few meters of the rode so as not to scratch the hull or bring the anchor in upside down or sideways.

So, there's my $0.02 worth

John M.

Tom Plummer

Member III
I have a 1981 E35-2 with the engine under the companion way ladder. My battery box is on the port side under the quarter berth. I ran my cables outboard behind the chart table then down under the port settee. At the forward end of the settee I followed the plumbing for the holding tank through the aft head bulkhead and to the forward end of the head cabinets. From there I found an opening in the outboard side of the forward head bulkhead that went behind the drawers on the port side of the vee-berth. Then forward to the bottom of the chain locker which already had a drain hole in it. At this point I ran the cables in plastic conduit to protect them from the chain/line rode up to the underside of the deck and the controller for the windlass.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
My batteries are on the starboard side, just behind the fridge, under the cockpit seating. I'm wondering what the best route is going down the starboard side. On the other hand, eventually I would like to increase the size of my house bank, and if I do that now, the extra batteries will end up under the quarter berth, (for balance) then I have a clean run down the port side from the new batteries. Choices, choices. It looks like a much easier run down the port side. I'm going to have to think about this.