• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter Storage for Instruments Up North

larossa

Member II
I was curious if there would there be any advantage to removing my instruments for the winter months. We get some fairly cold winters up here in Michigan. I was most concerned with the compass. Will the cold weather affect this instrument in anyway?

Thanks,

Brian
E31C
Nemo

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Instruments

Brian~

I have never had any problems with leaving the depth and wind instruments exposed to the elements. I just put a piece of tape on the covers so the dont blow off. The compass I just put a piece of plastic over to minimize uv exposure. The oil that is inside does not freeze and wont be effected by the cold winds of the winter.

That is my honest opinion and common practice over on the other side of the pond.

Last edited:

newpbs

Member III
Brian,

I just had my compass rebuilt, a Richie binnacle mount. It had small stress cracks and was loosing its oil. I looked like the PO had never done anything special to protect it. It didn't appear that it had ever been removed in the past. The Richie repair man said that it would be a good idea to remove it for the winter, but that if it were protected from the elements it should last another 20 years.

As for the electronics, I do not remove mine (I'm also in Michigan) but we did for many years on my Dad's boat. I think that they too are okay if they are protected from the harsh winter elements...at least I hope so. :confused:

Good luck

Paul

u079721

Contributing Partner
Many years of Michigan winters myself, but I cheated, always using indoor storage.

In general water is the enemy, particularly when it freezes. So all it takes is a decent covering of some kind. I can't remember anyone ever removing their compass or cockpit mounted instruments for the winter, or their built in cabin radios and instruments either. But anything that is bracket mounted is typically removed just for security.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I just cover the instruments and compass, and leave the installed electronics down below.

I do bring my Chartplotter home to the warmth because I have found as the internal battery gets older it allows settings and way points to get lost from memory. Come spring the settings and way points could again be stored, but entering them is a PITA.

The cold doesn't shorten the life of the battery, but it does reduce the available power while it is cold.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I leave our compass installed on the steering pedestal and take all of our below electronics home for the winter.
We use a canvass tarp for covering so the compass never gets wet during the winter.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Winter Storage

Brian,
I store outdoors as well with the boat tarped over. I keep a tickle of heat on in the boat (a low wattage electric space heater) basically to keep the interior temperature above the dew point.
The binnacle which includes Radar/ GPS Map and a large bronze body Constellation Compass are covered but exposed to the ambient outside temperature.
Interesting thing I noticed last Winter was that at one point the Compass had a large bubble. Come Spring and warmer temperatures it was gone, the bubble that is!

larossa

Member II
Instrument Winter Storage

Gentlemen,

Thanks again for your input. It appears as if most do keep their instruments outside but well covered.

Brian
E31C
Nemo