winterizing question

cooper999

Member II
Hey folks,

My plan has been to hold off on winterizing until this coming weekend (after T-giving). Looking at the 5-day forecast, we may get a short freeze on Tuesday night here in Baltimore. I haven't had an inboard diesel before we bought our 30+ this year. Am I asking for trouble by not winterizing now? Highs throughout the week are going to be in the 50s for the most part with the lone true sub-freeze window being for a few hours before dawn on Wednesday morning.

Figured I'd ask the braintrust to make sure I'm not doing anything too foolhardy. Boat is still in the water and will be all winter (water temp now is about 55 degrees). :nerd:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I would winterize for my own peace of mind, but you are probably fine. The water in the sea water side of your cooling loop is brackish and won't freeze as quickly as fresh water.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Brrrrrrr

Hey folks,

My plan has been to hold off on winterizing until this coming weekend (after T-giving). Looking at the 5-day forecast, we may get a short freeze on Tuesday night here in Baltimore. I haven't had an inboard diesel before we bought our 30+ this year. Am I asking for trouble by not winterizing now? Highs throughout the week are going to be in the 50s for the most part with the lone true sub-freeze window being for a few hours before dawn on Wednesday morning.

Figured I'd ask the braintrust to make sure I'm not doing anything too foolhardy. Boat is still in the water and will be all winter (water temp now is about 55 degrees). :nerd:

When winter stops teasing and really sets in, you will probably want to be winterized. The conditions where you are this week are just a tad colder than ours. When the water temp is well above freezing, then I figure that the lower hull is also "warmer". When the outside temp dips to 28 or 30 for a few hours really does not have much effect inside a closed up boat, IMHO.

Putting my "pontification hat" :) I just wrote up a monthly Preparation for Winter column for our little YC newsletter about this quandary. I advise everyone to only worry if/when we get a forecast for several straight days of 20 degree weather and 25+ kts of wind. That is when warmth really gets sucked right out of interiors, and is also the one time I close all vents and hatches.

All the rest of the time the boat needs ventilation to keep moisture low on the inside.
Of course our main concern in PDX is mold and mildew.

The freeze threat arrises because our part of the Columbia River is in front of the Gorge, where strong winds funnel down on us in the winter.
Part Two of my warning is never to totally depend on a space heater. The combo of freezing and heavy wind events often brings a day or three of power outage.
So, do continue to monitor the long range forecast, and for more serious cold events, also drain the potable water system and put that 'pink rv antifreeze' into the whole raw water system of the diesel. I have a little blog entry here on winterizing our engine.

In Baltimore, does the sea freeze?
Just curious, because only once in 20 years have we experienced that in our moorage. I recall that there was a little water in our bilge & it was all ice! I even stood on the ice by our bow just because I could. (Had quite a grip on the bow pulpit, however.)

Watch your step on the dock, too! :0

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No problem even up to Christmas, is my opinion.

We never shut the boat down until after Thanksgiving, and then only because the season seemed over.

Yes, (brackish) bay ice is occasional in winter. Tears up dock pilings. Doesn't hurt moored boats. Does freeze bilges, water lines and engines.

But the big deal about Chesapeake is that its cruising season is a full two months longer than New York's, and it is a shame to cut it short.

Last edited:

eknebel

Member III
I am in Annapolis, and am not worried yet. I often use the boat thru the winter, since it only takes a gallon of pink antifreeze sucked in thru the raw water intake to winterize it again. I plan to do the potable water soon, but like Loren said, the occasional dip in cold weather is ok, but a long streak of cold is going to freeze inside boat.

cooper999

Member II
Thanks all-seems I've got the first year jitters:)

Good to know there's another of us right around the corner, eknebel!

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Sounds like Ed is the perfect resource. Local, similar boat and experienced! I would worry about starting the engine when it is cold to do the winterize. Our season has been May to Sep for quite a few years. When the boat was newer and we were younger (80's) I recall hard starting in March and April even tho engine was very low hours. Now I wonder how we would make out with the temps in the 40'S? The engine is a lot older... Still starts great in the summer.
Pat O'Connell
1981 E28+ Universal 5411

markvone

Sustaining Member
Cooper,

I'm in Annapolis also, on Back Creek, on the back side of Eastport. The dock water is still on until 11/28. I wouldn't worry about the engine cooling system until we have several days in row near freezing. I don't think it's been below freezing in Annapolis yet due to the water being in the 50s. As Christian said, Christmas is probably a safe target date without worrying.

I haven't winterized my engine or potable water system yet. I'm trying to get finished buffing gelcoat in the cockpit area before they turn off the water. If I don't, I am planning to use my 70 gallons of potable water to finish the job during the first weeks of December. This is my sixth winter in the water in Annapolis.

Mark

John McCarroll

Hello From Canada!

Our Ericson 28 came out of the water on Oct. 14. At that time I drained the water tanks, changed the oil and ran plumber's anti freeze into the engine. Before it started to get really cold, I ran AF into all the water lines, drained the water heater, topped up the diesel tank and put stabilizer into the fuel. I thought I was finished until I read "Winterizing Your Boat Engine" by Don Casey found on boatus.com . According to Don I also need to: remove the impeller, fog the intake manifold, drain the muffler canister, grease the control cables, and lubricate the propeller shaft! I am going to check again in my Ericson manual but it seems I have a few more chores before the snow flies. We live in the snow belt of Ontario (in the lee of lake Huron). It is not uncommon to have 50cm of snow or more in one fall! I have worked in schools where we have had 21 snow days! In any case, I do frequent trips to check on the boat during the winter, My Top Shop tarp and the frame must be checked and adjusted all winter long. If I have forgotten anything please let me know. :nerd: Our winters are long, very cold and dark... thank goodness for Christian Williams books and sailing videos to keep the spirit of sailing burning all winter long! JM

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hmm... and I had to wrestle with my conscious to work this morning, rather than go sailing. Actually, the main winterizing I need to do is some maintenance on the propane system, so I can have a nice pot of hot coffee going. :egrin:

But... when there is a cold snap coming, I always figured that drawing antifreeze through the whole system until it farts green out the back would take care of the muffler and impellers. (?) Although I probably need to change the impellers on general principals about now. Along with other annual maintenance items. I have fogged the engine before, but I figure I'm going to start it up every week as part of my boat check.

In fact, I was just thinking that I should resolve to at least leave the dock every week, even if there is no wind. Who knows? A breeze might come up! Though I must say that this is the first year that I've ever seriously considered raking leaves in my yard. I don't think we've ever got this far without a storm coming up to blow them away.

cooper999

Member II
Hey Mark-I know Back Creek well-do you ever head to Davis'? Thanks for your insight-dhelps with Ed's to get insiders' perspectives for sure.

Have a good holiday (and all y'all!)!

Cooper,

I'm in Annapolis also, on Back Creek, on the back side of Eastport. The dock water is still on until 11/28. I wouldn't worry about the engine cooling system until we have several days in row near freezing. I don't think it's been below freezing in Annapolis yet due to the water being in the 50s. As Christian said, Christmas is probably a safe target date without worrying.

I haven't winterized my engine or potable water system yet. I'm trying to get finished buffing gelcoat in the cockpit area before they turn off the water. If I don't, I am planning to use my 70 gallons of potable water to finish the job during the first weeks of December. This is my sixth winter in the water in Annapolis.

Mark

markvone

Sustaining Member
Go to Davis' often.
I used to be closer - but across Back Creek at Port Annapolis. Had to dink over. Now I'm further up the creek but on the Eastport side at Severn House. I can walk there in 10 min.

Mark

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
winterizing Ericson 30+

Hi Cooper999,

I also have an Ericson 30+ and I am located in Deale on the Chesapeake. I have not winterized as of 25th November.

My plans include a salon heater set for 50 with all compartments and engine covering open.

I am watching the 10 day forecast for freezing but will winterize the engine and water tank no later than Dec 15th.

If your in the area, Herrington Harbor has some great winter get togethers. If you plan on attending, let me know and we'll get together and talk Ericsons.

MJS

cooper999

Member II
Thanks for the info! I know Herrington Harbor-it is a bit of a haul for us but hey, you never know. I'll reach out if we make it down there. Actually had a look at a boat there last year.

Hi Cooper999,

I also have an Ericson 30+ and I am located in Deale on the Chesapeake. I have not winterized as of 25th November.

My plans include a salon heater set for 50 with all compartments and engine covering open.

I am watching the 10 day forecast for freezing but will winterize the engine and water tank no later than Dec 15th.

If your in the area, Herrington Harbor has some great winter get togethers. If you plan on attending, let me know and we'll get together and talk Ericsons.

MJS

Pat C.

Member III
The only early freeze problem I have had was the polybutylene elbows attached to shower valve, it's high enough above water line to freeze early. Everything else so low in the boat where water temps protect it early in the season.

For the engine I've been using compressed air to clear the system after removing all the drain plugs. Really easy without the antifreeze mess (or fine concerns related to inland lake discharge).

sixtharmy

Sail bagging time?

Since so many Chessie bay sailors are replying here I wanted to ask, "Do you bag your sails each winter?" My new-to-me E27 is in Colonial Beach on the Potomac and everyone on my dock has been pulling their sails over the past few weeks. If the wind is calm enough and the temp is reasonable I'm thinking of pulling mine this weekend. I have an outboard, so apart from taking it home for servicing I'm not worried about engine winterizing, and the fresh water system is already drained.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Bag 'em

Sixto,

I always pull my roller furling headsail and mainsail for the winter. I dry them out, fold them up nice and store them out of the weather and sun. This usually happens just before the first real cold days in late December unless a project schedule demands an earlier start. I usually have some extensive project I need to complete over the winter so I don't plan to sail even though I'm in the water and it can be fairly nice on some winter days. I'm usually back out sailing by March, so I save 3-4 months of wear and tear on the sails by storing them inside. I also remove all my running rigging for the same reason.

Mark

Navman

Member III
baggin time

I pulled my main and jib last weekend. I bundle them up and then properly fold them when I get home. I do not have bags for the main and jib so I don't have much choice there. Also took off the bimini & frame and the dodger canvas This coming weekend I do the oil, fuel filter and transmission change. Following weekend I winterize the water, sanitation and engine. Pull the boat the week before x-mas. Go back down after x-mas and put on the winter cover. I find the hardest part to be taking down the sails. Not because it's hard or anything, but because of the finality of it. Season is over. The second week of the new year I'm dreaming already of the upcoming season, picking out solar panels, flipping through mag's, looking at pictures, handling the small projects I brought home. Even a short winter can seem like a long time. Then we are scraping, painting, buffing and SAILING ! Happy Holidays to all!:xmas_sant:xmas_sant:xmas_sant:xmas_grin

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The guy next to me takes his headsail off the furler and home because he believes that long periods (winter) of non-use gives time for mildew to grow. Sunlight and air keeps it down in the season, but months of being rolled tightly without being unfurled cause irrevocable stains on the Dacron.

Makes sense to me.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have to admit, I've left my boat fully rigged the last couple of winters. You never know when one of those nice days in January or February might pop up. This certainly has accelerated the aging of the running rigging. Time for new genoa sheets, at least. Not too unusual for fauna to fall out of the sails when they're raised at this time of year.

There are a couple of boats with roller furled headsails on my dock that have been parked for a loooong time. From the condition of the outer wrap, i suspect they'll just fall apart if they're ever unfurled. UV shields seem to be fairly unusual around here.