Wiring help on E25 Keel Boat

marcny

I’ve got a a 1974 E25 and I’m planning on doing some simple wiring upgrade.

While removing the forward bilge cover I noticed some electrical wires screwed into the hull.

I was wondering if this is where some of the wiring from the mast light runs through?

If anyone has any experience with such things or wiring diagrams that would be great. 59FB273E-33B7-4269-A1AF-7B0034817D29.jpegOne wire looks like a ground.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmm.... I wonder if there is/was a bronze grounding plate on the outside of the hull bottom?? That is the bottom of the boat, right?
(I cannot imagine why a smaller boat might have one, but it's a random thought....)

marcny

Maybe. If there is I think it’s covered over because I’m not aware of any. I’ll check again.

And yes it’s the bottom of the boat. Might be integrated in the keel maybe?

This area is in the passage midway between the toilet on starboard and port lights on both side of the boat.

The v berths are directly forward of it

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the boat was used in the NE, there might have been a grounding plate or connection to the keel to dissipate a lightning charge, maybe?
(Just a guess.... my previous boat was built in Ontario Canada and had a wire from mast step to a keel bolt, IIRC.)

Last edited:

marcny

I’m only aware of the previous 2 owners kept the boat in Rhode Island until I moved it a couple of states south to New York 5 years ago. Unlikely a small boat like this made the trip from out west so you’re probably correct that it was an eastern equipped boat.

Thanks for the links I didn’t know they were available.

olsenjohn

John Olsen
Blogs Author
I own an E25 and can confirm that is the grounding bolt. It goes through the hull and is flush on the outside. You should ensure it is not painted over. The copper wires connect to the forestay and shrouds. If you look at the back of the chain plates you will see the other end of those connected there.

marcny

Thanks. I did see a black wire connected to the chain plate on port side above the cabinet.

The hull is painted and if there is a grounding bolt on the outside hull it is under the paint.