WTB Ericson 30+

TrueBlue

Member II
Looking to buy a 30+ diesel powered. Also like the 30-2 let me know if anyone on the West Coast might be considering selling theirs. I don't mind a little bit of a project I enjoy fixing things within reason :) Might even consider a partnership in SoCal.

Hope your all sailing safe!

Bandykins

Member II
Looking to buy a 30+ diesel powered. Also like the 30-2 let me know if anyone on the West Coast might be considering selling theirs. I don't mind a little bit of a project I enjoy fixing things within reason :) Might even consider a partnership in SoCal.

Hope your all sailing safe!
I just posted ours, it's West Coast. Would be a nice sail down... I'd even consider volunteering as crew

Ericson 35-2

Scott

TrueBlue

Member II
too much boat for me i'd maybe go 32 max. I do appreciate the offer on crew though. Think more people should randomly sail with each other :)
Still waiting for Christian to invite me to Hawaii :p

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sorry if a comment leads this thread astray a bit, but when we were shopping for a year (!) to replace our 26 footer, we started out looking for a 30 to 32 footer. The more we looked the more we figured out that length is a poor arbiter of "size" and that waterline and displacement were more important to determine speed and capability. i.e. a 9K displacement boat can be any length from 29 to 33 feet, depending on how it was designed and built.

Turned down a great 'deal' on an O'Day 30, thank goodness, and had an offer rejected on an E-32-200. Then found the O-34, and like fable about the three bears and the pourage, it was and is .... just right.
One problem that we did not have was finding a slip for our next boat, at least within reason, being members of an inexpensive YC with its own moorage.

So, while a 34 out 35 footer may seem large now, once you get used to it, it will not. Nothing wrong with your staying the course, but do not be too concerned about LOA. As the NA Bob Perry once observed about boat shopping, buy the smallest boat that meets your real needs, but then buy all of the waterline length that you can.
And, look for sailing speed and handling..... that's where a King-designed Ericson really out classes the cheap-a__ production boats.

TrueBlue

Member II
Yeah and it probably needs a new motor as well currently has a Universal diesel. The guy is not even sure what motor he has. Frank you sure thats top down water damage or possibly just from condensation from sitting too long? Because it doesn't seem to run down.

Heres Video Frank is talking about:

I mean I'd be tempted to take on the project, Just hate to see a Ericson go to waste.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
A lot of folks that bought boats to keep them occupied during the Covid shut down are realizing the real cost of fixing and keeping an older boat and that sailing is not as glamours as many vblogs depict. It's a shame to lose the younger folks to other activities.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A lot of folks that bought boats to keep them occupied during the Covid shut down are realizing the real cost of fixing and keeping an older boat and that sailing is not as glamours as many vblogs depict. It's a shame to lose the younger folks to other activities.
Without professional help and having the boat inside a climate controlled shop, I seriously doubt that the Admiral and I could have done our re-fit, even with the pandemic year extending way beyond a year. Further, we had already done a lot of restoration in the decade prior.....

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
TrueBlue,
No, I'm not absolutely sure the water damage is from water in the balsa core, but it seems more than just condensation in my opinion. So I would want to check the deck carefully for soft spots and possible moisture in the core from leaking stanchions, cracks, etc. As I said before, I think there are significant risks with this boat, and buying a slightly more expensive boat in better shape would save time and cost of materials and repair.
Frank

TrueBlue

Member II
Well it sold pretty quick so someone thought It was worth $3k, I think it could have been fixed. Most of you say you cant own a nice Ericson for under 30k I doubt it would have taken 27k to make that a nice boat. Repower and all

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Well it sold pretty quick so someone thought It was worth $3k, I think it could have been fixed. Most of you say you cant own a nice Ericson for under 30k I doubt it would have taken 27k to make that a nice boat. Repower and all
Engine $12000, Sails $7000, upholstery $5000, replace wood veneer $4000, and that's without possible balsa core damage, electrical repairs, pumps, standing rigging, etc.
Not for the faint of heart!!
Frank

Bandykins

Member II
I think if you are handy and have the time, you could certainly have gotten it back in shape for less than 27k. As long as you don't mind some work and maybe not the most high end of sails etc...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There will be other boats coming onto the market... just keep your powder dry.....
Now you know a lot more about what to look for, too.
Back in the 90's, it took us a full year to find the boat that we still have, after selling our pristine Niagara 26. Good thing we found the (Ericson) Olson, as the "thrill of the hunt" was kinda wearing thin........
:)

TrueBlue

Member II
All good points I appreciate the shared wisdom. And Loren I will do my best to keep my powder dry lol

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
FWIW I don’t think the brown-on-tan 30+ sold yet.

It’s a good opportunity for someone who could put a used functional engine in. At that point it’s probably a $20k going concern.

A forty year old going concern that needs a lot of love.

There are normally 1-3 Ericsons for sale at any point on SF Bay Craigslist. Patience is a virtue.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All good points I appreciate the shared wisdom. And Loren I will do my best to keep my powder dry lol
Best not to repeat the rest of that dialog, from the movie "Platoon", but it's a fatalistic philosophical take on combat --and other hazards in life. :(
Just be prepared, observant, and patient.