• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yellow stained sails

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I had something very disturbing happen to our sails after they were cleaned by Quantum Sail Design in Annapolis. First of all, a few weeks ago as part of getting our E-32 ready for the season, I picked up our set of sail at Quantum that were there for some repair and cleaning. They also stored them there for the winter. Both the gen and main were in separate sail bags that one of the workers carried out my vehicle. I then transferred them to my boat, setting them on one of the cushions of the settee. Soon after I left the boat for the day. When I returned two weeks later to finish cleaning the boat and put up the sails I found that there was a large wet area under the sail bag that contain the main with a smaller one under the gen sail bag.

Also there was mildew and mold along the side of the cushion. Under that cushion was the access door to the area under the seat where the stainer for our AC unit is located. There was water down in this area and the top of the stainer in the stainer cap, which is recessed, there was water with lots of soapy residue. Obviously there was soapy water in the sail bag that drain down to this point. My fears were realized after raising the main. When we dropped the sails off to the loft both were white with no signs of stains. Now the main had heavy, and I do mean heavy, yellow staining along the edges and where the folds were located when the sail was flaked after it was wash, but not properly rinsed and put in the bag WET.

Since this was the weekend the loft was closed although I did leave a message. But now I'd like to have the stains removed, hopefully by Quantum. My question is has anyone experience something like this and can these types of stains be removed? Any other advice would be helpful also. Thanks in advance.

mggilmore

Member II
Ouch

Wow Bob, really sorry to hear that. I don't know the answer to your question but I sure hope your loft comes through for you. FYI, I use a loft in PA called SailCare, they do a great job of cleaning and they have a patented process for reconditioning sails which have brought mine back to to near new (http://www.sailcare.com/sail-cleaning.shtml). Good Luck !
Mike

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I would caution a bit against using the Sailcare process, based on my experience with them for sails on my previous boat. The sail was a bit older and the LeMauney process (sp?) that they advertised said the sail would come back like new with resin impregnated into the cloth, and if it needed re-cutting, they would phone to discuss that before proceeding.

They were very pleasant to deal with, but my sail came back whiter but very limp with no stiffness at all--definitely less crispness than when I sent it to them and no sign of resin. When I talked with them about this, they agreed to repeat their LeMauney process at their cost, and did so. The sail came back even whiter, but still had no stiffness in the sailcloth. I had expected better.

Based on this experience, if you are only interested in cleaning for cosmetic reasons, ie. whiteness, then they may be ok; but certainly not for reconditioning the sail, and it may come back quite limp and not hold shape well.

Others may have a different view based on their experience.

Frank

Last edited: