• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Zipper Pull Repair [Master Thread]

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author

YKK Coil#5, in beige, purchase here: https://www.owfinc.com/

StarBrite Snap and Zipper PTFE lubricant, patience.

I never needed to rip any seams, but I did pull some adjacent liner staples.

Once I was able to remove the old encrusted heads and separate and lubricate the teeth, I could choose which end of the zipper from which to begin my new slide path.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes Indeed, time to bump this great zipper thread. The subject of the mast collar - inside & outside - and leaks and etc has come up, as it regularly does, in a nearby thread. :)

Slick470

Member III
I did this project on our O911 last spring. I found the cutting back teeth bit to be to fiddly/difficult so ended up taking off the trim and exposing the ends. Replacing the bungs was a lot easier. So very much nicer having working zippers again.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I did this project on our O911 last spring. I found the cutting back teeth bit to be to fiddly/difficult so ended up taking off the trim and exposing the ends. Replacing the bungs was a lot easier. So very much nicer having working zippers again.
Yes, that's definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until after I had cut teeth and installed the pulls the hard way. No matter how much time I spend on here, I still manage to miss some of the great advice before jumping into a project.

Slick470

Member III
Yes, that's definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until after I had cut teeth and installed the pulls the hard way. No matter how much time I spend on here, I still manage to miss some of the great advice before jumping into a project.
I hadn't seen that tip here either, and was fully prepared to do it the "hard" way, but after contorting myself into a position where I could get to the end and start trimming teeth, then realizing I didn't have all the proper tools, and starting to cramp up, I was forced to look at it a different way, preferably one where I wasn't so uncomfortable. And yes, I am very aware that being uncomfortable and/or bleeding is a prerequisite of it being a boat project.

The best options I was able to come up with were (A) doing more a lot more yoga (which I should do anyway) and delaying the project or (B) popping off the trim, so I went with the latter. Our v-berth is completely disassembled so I've gotten pretty good at popping the bungs without damaging the trim, so It was actually a pretty easy decision. I should still do more yoga though.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmm. A new zipper slider I installed less than three years ago (Post #17, June 2020) now looks like this:

corroded 3 year old zipper 2023 .JPG

Odd, because half my factory originals still work, and I have pretty good at moving them periodically to prevent sticking. It was just another metal long-grip pull, not apparently different from the new batch of replacements ( YKK #5 Nylon Coil Long Pull Zipper Sliders / $.99 per). By the way, the Ericson color is "beige" or "khaki."

The trick to replacing pulls, many of us have found, is to detach the zipper tape from the headliner for an inch or two (only one side is detached in the photo below).

IMG_8129.JPG

That allows the end of the zipper tapes to hang down so the new slider can be inserted. It's much harder if you try to pull two zipper sides together while they're still attached to the headliner.

Sliders are expendable, but the plastic coil zippers are not. If they get damaged, as mine was from removing the corroded slider, the new slider can only run on the undamaged side. The injured area is isolated by a sewn stop to keep the slider from running aground. The result doesn't look bad.

IMG_8133.JPG...sewn zipper stop 2023 .JPG

Both ends of this zipper had wood trim covering the ends, which makes the job easier than if the zipper tape is floating in the headliner.

floating zipper stuck 2023.JPG

For those, it is necessary to detach the zipper tape by cutting the stitches of the welt until an inch or two of tape dangles down (the distance between the red arrowheads below). Once the slider is on, the welting is sewn back together to serve as the slider stop. Done neatly, it isn't unsightly. I have several floaters stuck--I'll fix them when I need access.

Or the next owner will, when he does....

arrows floating zipper stuck 2023.JPG

What's the right lube for zippers? Anything that works. I ordered a special stick, but silicone is probably just as good. Plastic coil zippers don't corrode like metal zippers do, our issue is only, and always, the slider.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our plastic coil zippers don't corrode like metal zippers do, our issue is only the slider.
So true. One the one hand you have (normally) wonderful sunny weather with good sailing. We have cold and damp weather and desultory winds.
You have salt air..... :confused:

Less corrosion for us, but it's all a tradeoff.

AlanO

Member II
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I have a bunch of stuck zippers that will need to be replaced before too long. Glad to read the various tips and curse reduction techniques.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Unfortunately, my PO used superglue to close gaps in the coil zippers where the corroded pulls could no longer get to - in several of my headliner zippers.
I'm about to replace the teak plinths under my cabintop winches and rebed the bolts properly to stop a slow persistent leak. Both of those access zippers will need to be completely replaced - gonna be a very tedious sewing job :-\

AlanO

Member II
Most of the zippers on Gravlax are seized and I have replaced two of them. I'll replace additional zippers when I need access. While I first thought it would be difficult, it turned out to be fairly straightforward with a stitch cutter from the local hobby shop. Rather than trying to wrangle off the old seized zipper, I left them in place and clipped off the pull. I think no one would notice, except me. I also was not as fancy as Christian with sewing off the loose end of the zipper tape where the new zipper is slid on; just enough to keep it from unraveling. It tucks in nicely inside the headliner with little to show. If I had a surgeon's needle instead of only a straight needle, I would have used Christian's method. After experience with the first one, the second was about a 15 or 20 minute job. Part of what I learned was to avoid cutting any more stitches than necessary to free enough of the zipper tape. Just like the ball valves on the thru-hulls regular exercise and a bit of lube is on the regular maintenance list. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.