1971 E27 head odor…

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Adding onto Bolo's excellent post, i also did a full reformat of all the OEM head hose system, and in that process cleaned the hull with bleach and soap in those areas. There was some ancient residual odor in the fiberglass surface that had to be eradicated. Blame it on the Prior Owner! :(

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Mud dauber wasps love holes like that and the real obstruction may go in a couple inches. Disconnect the house in the cabinet and use some wire from the inside to clean the fittings if you don’t have a compressed air bottle.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Or worse, since if the holding tank is full and somebody keeps pumping, that's where the waste goes--out the air vent hose. And clogs it.

Don't ask how I know, or how embarrassing it is to have to scrub from the topsides a telltale streak of telltale color.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Or worse, since if the folding tank is full and somebody keeps pumping, that's where the waste goes--out the air vent hose. And clogs it.

Don't ask how I know, or how embarrassing it is to have to scrub from the topsides a telltale streak of telltale color.
That happens on my boat more than I would like to admit ;-). After I pumpout I spray water into the vent to clear the vent tube (just in case). Then fill with freshwater and pumpout 2 or 3 more times.

RedXII

Member I
Or worse, since if the folding tank is full and somebody keeps pumping, that's where the waste goes--out the air vent hose. And clogs it.

Better than it leaking into your bilge in the middle of the pacific …

I didn’t even think about this being a possibility. I can’t tell what the obstruction is in the thruhull there but I wouldn’t be surprised. There are some systems on this boat that were very well cared for, but the previous owner is very old and out of shape now so I can tell a lot of things were neglected in the past decade or so…