• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1984 35 - 3

ramems

Hello all,

We are seriously considering purchase of an ericson 35 (OK we are in the offer counter offer stage) and wonder about the top five things to check on this model. I have never owned a sailboat of this size before and want to make it a well considered start. The site looks great and I have and will contiune to mine it for information.

Thanks

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Here are issues I found with my '85 35-3 I bought in 2006. Keep in mind that they are above and beyond things you would check for on any sailboat of this vintage.

- Fuel tank leaks. The tanks tend to corrode from condensation forming on the outside of the tank where it comes in contact with the hull. Mine had already been repaired but not before it ruined the sole which I replaced last season.

- Holding tank leaks. The inside corner of the L section had a stress fracture. Again, replaced last season.

- Stress crack around the anchor locker. Very common on some Ericsons. Usually just a crack in the gelcoat but I will rip mine apart at some point to determine exactly what needs to be done to stiffen that area of the boat. However, this usually leads to water intrusion into the deck core and running down either side of the deck. I have one on the stbd side along with the moisture in the deck along the rail.

- Moisture around the dorads forward of the mast. Mine was fine but many leak in this area.

- Galley sink is too small. Presently upgrading the sink, faucet and trash cabinet to convert it to a sliding door to allow clearance for the new faucet.

Of course using a good surveyor who is knowledgeable about this boat will also help. You should be able to find one on the left coast as there are far more of these boat there than here:esad:

That being said, please note that I am very picky and tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to my boat so the fact that I bought one is a good indicator that the above 5 items really pale in comparison to the rest of the very positive features this boat has. It sails like a dream. Although, a little tender initially, it settles in very nicely at 10-15 degrees. It will sail near hull speed in 12 knots of wind and a 150. It will also sail 30 degrees from the wind so upwind performance is outstanding. The interior comfort level of this 35 footer is unmatched by most any other boat of this vintage with the exception of storage space. Not a problem for us but others have mentioned it.

I assume you are speaking of the boat in Sidney? That looks like a fine example although it is priced way too high. The market is very soft right now and getting softer. My boat was less than half that and is nearly as nice. Check with your insurer as they will probably not come close to that value. Check the Bucvalue as that is what most insurers use. I think the high is somewhere around 60k.

Either way, good luck and stick around. This is a great bunch of folks and we love to sail our Ericsons:egrin:

BTW, I keep an eye on the 35s that appear on YW and that one just showed up so it has not been on the market for long.

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I'll add to Tims list to check for damage with the structural grid in the bilge under the mast. Its repairable, but would require pulling the mast. Ours had minor issues, but since we had to pull the mast for trucking anyway it wasn't too bad to fix.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
I would ditto the above mentioned items. Hireing a good surveyor to check any boat is a must. My wife and I were very fortunate with our purchase in 2005. The survey showed two items of importance.

The fire extinguishers were not up to date and one of the battery posts did not have the protective cap on it.

Since we had known the boat and the seller for 13 years and sail on the same lake and did business with the same yard/marina, we didn't officially have the motor checked out. With all the records opened up for me to review and the almost fanatic care the PO had done, it was a no brainer. Especially when we went out for the test sail. Coming from an 81 Catalina 30the Ericson sailed like a dream.

Look real close for any water damage from the dorade's forward of the mast. We, and the surveyor missed some discolored teak close to the starboard portlite just aft of the bulkhead between the v-birth and the main cabin. It took a lot of head scratching and searching to finally find the source of the water. It was traveling from the box between the dorades clear back to above the portlite. I still need to re-seal the inside of that stupid box however, last Spring I placed a piece of matching sunbrella over the box that just snaps on and off. This is a temp fix but it lets the box breath and it looks nice for now.

Other than upgrades that I wanted to perform, there has been just normal maintenance on ours. Thanks to the PO's TLC.

lbertran

Member III
The E 35-3 Is An Awesome Boat

We bought our 1985 three years ago and are in the process of updating hardware and so forth. Mostly normal updates for a boat over 20 years old. The big projects have been reinforcing the anchor locker pan to hold a windlass, sealing the leaks in the dorade box forward of the mast (the one serious design flaw in this wonderful boat) and replacing the cabin sole in the head which delaminated due to a leak from the shower pan. All of this is minor when weighed against the joy of owning such a fine sailing, sturdy boat.

ramems

84 35-3

We want to buy the boat just to be a member of such an informative and helpful group. Thanks for the good tips; we will closely inspect for these.

Yes this boat is at the very top end of the price spectrum yet her refurbishments are extensive and appear very well done. I was going to raise the question of submerged keel bolts, but having read more think that the time has arrived to drop the keel and re-bed it.

Going forward with our eyes open.

Alec and Richelle