1990 O-34 For Sale- Seattle (broker ad)

poolnickv

Well, the marine survey was a no show due to miscommunication , So I have another scheduled out a couple of weeks.

The standing rig needs to be replaced - which I already expected. The mechanical survey showed lots of issues, Im waiting to hear what the repair costs look like - I wasn't expecting all of the work they found. So Im not sure just yet if this boat is for me. The marine survey will let me know if there are any other surprises.

poolnickv

It hasn't been hauled out yet, the bottom paint needs to be done as looking at the records it hasn't been done since 2018. A diver last reported the bottom paint condition as poor. Additionally there are supposedly two blisters on the hull.

As to what are the options there I don't know what the appropriate plan would be... We'll have to wait for the haul out to get a better look.

Any opinions on the matter would be nice.

Lakesailor

It hasn't been hauled out yet, the bottom paint needs to be done as looking at the records it hasn't been done since 2018. A diver last reported the bottom paint condition as poor. Additionally there are supposedly two blisters on the hull.

As to what are the options there I don't know what the appropriate plan would be... We'll have to wait for the haul out to get a better look.

Any opinions on the matter would be nice.
No bottom job since 2018 is definitely very concerning. More so if blisters are apparent under water. If it was my boat I would want to pull it, strip all the old bottom paint off and fully sand the hull - deal with the blisters and any other laminate issues you discover and than epoxy barrier coat it after and apply all new bottom paint. Basically it need a full blown bottom job in my opinion. Given that and the diesel work required as well as the new rigging required, I would be looking at serious price reduction. That or find another boat that has been better looked after.

poolnickv

After asking around a bit more about the repairs this boat needs (standing rigging replacement, major engine repairs, & complete bottom overhaul to address the blisters), I've decided not to go ahead with the purchase. I really like Olson 34s, but this one just needed too much work to get her right. I'm bummed but I'll have to look at another boat. Thank you to everyone here for all the help- you folk have an awesome community.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well the mechanics say the engine need 7.6k in work... Looks like I need to ask for a further reduction in price.
For the sake of proportion and comparison (and would apply to any similar boat) my new Betamarine 25 cost me just under 10K in a crate, and the major part of the install was done by a pro ship wright cost another 5K. I figured that rebuilding our old engine and replacing the trans and panel was going to cost over half that, so that estimate easily met my 'standard' for justifying a replacement. Good luck on your search.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
poolnickv - I bought an O34 in "project" condition about 18 months ago. Happy to be sounding board if you PM me. I also replaced all the standing rigging. Your boat looks to be in nicer shape on yachtworld. I wouldn't worry too much about the blisters. Unless they are really big, they can just grind them out and fill with west epoxy and filler. You'll know a lot more after the haul out and survey.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
poolnickv - I bought an O34 in "project" condition about 18 months ago. Happy to be sounding board if you PM me. I also replaced all the standing rigging. Your boat looks to be in nicer shape on yachtworld. I wouldn't worry too much about the blisters. Unless they are really big, they can just grind them out and fill with west epoxy and filler. You'll know a lot more after the haul out and survey.
Easy for me to be enthusiastic, since it's not my money. :)
But I agree that some old blistering is common, and (subject to closer inspection) is not a concern. When we had our boat hauled out for transport home, in 1994, the yard found an area on one side of the bottom, about 3' by 1', of noticeable blisters. They said their advice would be to grind out the gel coat in that area and apply a layer of new glass. They did so, and no blistering has returned. This was Mariner boatyard in Alameda.

Matter of fact the bottom was just recently repainted, the last week in the shop before launch, and other than some very small blisters here n there noticed after sanding almost all the old paint off, bottom is smooth. All perfect when painted.
Speaking of "project boats" ours was also really a project when we bought it. All the main bent bits were repaired within the first year or two.

Any boat will turn into a "fixer upper" if beat up and ignored for several seasons, IMHO. The super/hyper important thing... is to buy a boat with excellent underlying engineering and build quality that is worth your time and money to bring back. That's where a High End boat from Ericson is the best choice.
And no, this is not the only good brand - there is a 'short list' of other strong builders too.

Aside: I would love to visit Rob and his boat some day. Same guys built it, along with mine and Jay's boat (now in Chicago).

Slick470

Member III
I agree with the comments that Rob and Loren have made and I will add that you really should keep in mind that the absolute newest of these boats left the factory in 1990, 31 years ago. By definition, unless a boat has just gone under a major refit like Loren is currently undertaking, it will be a project boat of some kind.

I would also note that no bottom job since 2018 may or may not be an issue depending on the bottom paint used and if they dove or had a diver clean the bottom regularly.

Blisters are frustrating, but can be dealt with or ignored. They will not sink the boat. Mostly they can be used as a means to negotiate the price. We had them, negotiated the price accordingly, ignored them for a few years, then dealt with them.