2020 PNW Rendezvous - July 17-19, 2020 - Genoa Bay Marina

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
With the borders closed and minimal marinas open, I am thinking it may be best to postpone until next year when things have more certainty. Definitely at Genoa
Hi Shannon, while that may be the eventual decision, the rendezvous is still two months away, and lots can change in that time. Marinas are closed for now, but eventually they will need to open to have some income to pay their expenses, if it's safer to do so. Maybe then a more limited rendezvous with respect for social distance might be possible.
Maybe as we get closer to that date, a poll could be done to see how many people might be able to attend. Just my thoughts, but your decision...
Frank
 

Wannasailsoon

Member II
Hi Shannon, while that may be the eventual decision, the rendezvous is still two months away, and lots can change in that time. Marinas are closed for now, but eventually they will need to open to have some income to pay their expenses, if it's safer to do so. Maybe then a more limited rendezvous with respect for social distance might be possible.
Maybe as we get closer to that date, a poll could be done to see how many people might be able to attend. Just my thoughts, but your decision...
Frank
I like this approach and think it is more of a group decision when the time is right. Let’s see how things are at the beginning of June and revisit. I haven’t canceled my reservation.
 

Wannasailsoon

Member II
Hi everyone. I am wondering if we can set up a bit of a poll to see what people are thinking about this years rendezvous. What we do know is B.C. has extended the state of emergency for an additional two weeks and borders will remain closed until at least June 22 (or 23). In addition, there is a two week quarantine for those coming from out of country.

I am so excited to meet everyone and see their boats, but my sense is we may want to delay this year so when we do meet it is safe and we can freely tour each others boats and see each others faces (without masks). This will pass. It is not forever, it is just for now.

Shannon
 
Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
My take is the border is not going to be opened soon. Canada's requirements aren't going to be met in the immediate future. The latest projection for the Coho to resume service is between December and spring. I doubt we will be given anymore slack as the Coho does carry essential cargo.

As a side note, if the Coho is held out of service until spring, it probably will not return. Black Ball Ferries will be bankrupt by then.

Bad times.
 

Wannasailsoon

Member II
@Loren Beach I miss watching and often getting out of the way of the coho.
Bob @supersailor I agree bad times.

Although, if we do cancel with the number of boat projects we are getting done our boat will be in great shape by this time next year
 

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I had picked the timing for the Coho off of a discussion the BC Centers for Disease Control was having on the three things necessary to open Canada up. Because these three things were not likely to happen until next year, the Coho would not be sailing until then. What this actually says I guess is no one has a clue what is actually going on and that's scary.
 

Wannasailsoon

Member II
Planning for 2021.

Hi everyone, I was hoping to have a few more responses, but I think there is enough uncertainty to delay the 2020 rendezvous until next year. Personally, it saddens me that we will not be able to meet in person this year, but when we do meet I really want to be able to see you (without a mask) and tour other Ericson boats. We are officially cancelling our reservation for this year, but will rebook for the same weekend in 2021. We are hoping to get out for a month of sailing this summer close to home and if we see you anchored will pop by and say hi while observing social distancing. Take care everyone and in the wise words of our provincial health officer be kind, be calm and stay safe.

Shannon
 

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Planning for 2021.

Hi everyone, I was hoping to have a few more responses, but I think there is enough uncertainty to delay the 2020 rendezvous until next year. Personally, it saddens me that we will not be able to meet in person this year, but when we do meet I really want to be able to see you (without a mask) and tour other Ericson boats. We are officially cancelling our reservation for this year, but will rebook for the same weekend in 2021. We are hoping to get out for a month of sailing this summer close to home and if we see you anchored will pop by and say hi while observing social distancing. Take care everyone and in the wise words of our provincial health officer be kind, be calm and stay safe.

Shannon
Hi Shannon,

I think you have made the right decision, though it is sad for all of us who had intended to meet in Genoa Bay in July. Thanks for all the work you did to plan this event, and I look forward to attending in Genoa Bay next year!
Frank
 

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hi Shannon,

I think you have made the right decision, though it is sad for all of us who had intended to meet in Genoa Bay in July. Thanks for all the work you did to plan this event, and I look forward to attending in Genoa Bay next year!
Frank
Same with us - we'll be there.
 
Top