2020 PNW Rendezvous - July 17-19, 2020 - Genoa Bay Marina

Jamiem

We Just purchased an Ericson 39 in Portland and will be starting the renovation next week. If we are on schedule we might be able to meet up with y'all in Genoa Bay. I have done some sailing around there in my Macgregor 25 and I thought I remember reading that the entrance depth can be an issue. We will be drawing 6' v.s. 18" with our old boat. I will be a bit more paranoid not that I cannot raise my keel if I bottom out.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Jamiem,
Congrats on your purchase of an E39! I've never seen that model, so it would be great if you could make it to the Rendezvous, in addition to meeting you as a new member. :)
There is no issue for depth in going to Genoa Bay, except for the reef further out in the bay. But the reef is marked and the charts are clear, and there is lots of room to avoid the reef. Our boat draws about 6 feet, and we've never had a problem at Genoa Bay, either anchoring in the lovely bay or staying on the dock at the marina.
Hope to see you there in July!
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We Just purchased an Ericson 39 in Portland and will be starting the renovation next week. If we are on schedule we might be able to meet up with y'all in Genoa Bay. I have done some sailing around there in my Macgregor 25 and I thought I remember reading that the entrance depth can be an issue. We will be drawing 6' v.s. 18" with our old boat. I will be a bit more paranoid not that I cannot raise my keel if I bottom out.
Probably NOMB, but did you buy the project boat stored at Schooner Creek Boat Yard? A friend of mine owned it until about a decade ago (or more) and cruised it in BC waters.

Last edited:

Jamiem

Probably NOMB, but did you buy the project boat stored at Schooner Creek Boat Yard? A friend of mine owned it until about a decade ago (or more) and cruised it in BD waters.
yes, I did. I am a moderately competent DIYer (which is probably a comment many would say) I have fixed and sailed on canoes and sailboats fixed by my dad and then myself. I was amazed at the info the owner had on the racing and maintenance history of the boat. It helps to have that info when looking at planning repairs/renovations.

Jamiem

Jamiem,
Congrats on your purchase of an E39! I've never seen that model, so it would be great if you could make it to the Rendezvous, in addition to meeting you as a new member. :)
There is no issue for depth in going to Genoa Bay, except for the reef further out in the bay. But the reef is marked and the charts are clear, and there is lots of room to avoid the reef. Our boat draws about 6 feet, and we've never had a problem at Genoa Bay, either anchoring in the lovely bay or staying on the dock at the marina.
Hope to see you there in July!
Frank
Thanks, I can now just worry about the 1001 mechanical and logistical tasks to be done to make it. Once I get to 501 tasks, I will book a slip space but I really need to make sure the key issues like the Diesel and associated accessories are "ship shape" prior to committing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After reading about the open-ended BC border closure to "tourists" today, I emailed the marina to say that we will not be attending. Hope next year is more 'normal' for travel. (sigh)
:(

Wannasailsoon

Member II
@Loren Beach

So many things are cancelling and this may be the next. I think I will hold off until the end of April before cancelling completely. If we do cancel this year, maybe Canada can host for 2021.

for now. Stay safe. Practice social distancing (no better place than in a sailboat) and wash your hands.

Shannon

supersailor

Sustaining Member
Oh Man! I'm finally better and Terra Nova is ready to roam and I'm restricted to my little acreage with the orders to not interact with any humans. Life isn't fair! Maybe the boat in the middle of nowhere is the answer.

Genoa Bay I'm going to miss and I was so looking forward to it and being with real sailors.