30+ water system confusion, which way should the pump face? It almost seems reversed

light24bulbs

E30+ 1984, San Juan Island, Wa
Hi there, maybe somebody else who has a 30 plus and has messed with the water system can help me out.

My new-to-me boat's water system hasn't been activated in 5 years or so. I'm trying to get it working. I filled up the starboard tank (wow does that make the boat list a bit) and open the valve near the tank. I turned on the pump, but all I get is a bubbling sound and no water.

I thought maybe the pump was no good, so I took the lines off, and I'm getting a ton of air suction/blowing so I don't really thing there's anything wrong with the pump. It should prime with that much suction. Covering the starboard hole with my finger almost sucks my finger in there and slows the pump down a lot.

The pump appears to be sucking air from the starboard side of the boat near the hull and blowing towards the port, in other words towards the middle of the boat. Picture attached with arrows.

So, naturally I should figure out what's going on with the line between the pump and the motor. I look underneath at the "intake" line (starboard side of the pump) and I see it actually goes through a T. Photo attached. One of those old-school gray pipes goes directly forward along the starboard hull. No clue where it goes after that. The other line is flexible silicone hose and goes down into the bilge someplace and it's hard to tell where. Attached is a photo of that T that I labeled.

I'm feeling very skeptical at this point that I'm looking at the "intake" lines, because why would they split like that? Very strange. Both the bow tank and starboard tank are valved and come to a T under the seat just forward of the starboard tank. There's no need for that second line.

Is it possible my pump is actually pumping the wrong direction for some insane reason? Strange mechanical failure? I don't think diaphragm pumps CAN run backwards, I think both positive and negative would go the same way. So I'm pretty confused. It DOES kind of sound like it's blowing bubbles in the tank when it runs. Of course there are no helpful marks on the pump that I can see, and it's not even in the pumps manual. The diagrams just have pipes on both ends of the pump, just...incredibly frustrating.

Anyway, since tracing the lines is super hard, I really just wanted to hear from someone else with my same boat.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230430_122032.jpg
    20230430_122032.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230430_123302.jpg
    20230430_123302.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 25

light24bulbs

Ah you know what, I think I've got it.

Based on this document of the optional water pressure system, I can see that the teed off line which confused the heck out of me is almost certainly the manual foot pump in the galley. It takes a very weird route, but there you have it. Forgot all about it.

Next time I go out, I'll be checking. I bet that line has come off of the foot pump and so the water pressure pump is sucking air.

Phew. Systems.

You guys don't drink the tank water, right? I feel like every one of those old tanks and lines is probably BPA laden.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Next time I go out, I'll be checking. I bet that line has come off of the foot pump and so the water pressure pump is sucking air.
If the fresh water system went unused for five years, everything is suspect. If the line has not come off of the foot pump, thy plugging the foot pump outlet with your thumb, or tape, or whatever. The foot pump check valves may be stuck open, allowing air entrainment into the system.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sure I drink the tank water. No sense having 70 gallons on board if it isn't fit to drink.
Same sentiment. Our boat came with two rotomolded water tanks. I have replaced them both, but not because of the material but rather to have the shapes altered to better fit the compartments in the hull and also to add cleanout ports. We keep them clean inside, but there is still a chance of "plant growth" in the lines, so we flush them often. No "taste" to the water, tho.
That said, I have done a lot of deliveries where the owner had only bottled water to drink, and the tank water was only used for hand washing or dishwashing.....
:rolleyes:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I filled up the starboard tank (wow does that make the boat list a bit)
Yes it does. That along with the 160lbs of batteries directly aft of that. I don't have a bow tank so rarely fill the water tank unless I'm going afar. Then I use it just for wash water :)

light24bulbs

Yes it does. That along with the 160lbs of batteries directly aft of that. I don't have a bow tank so rarely fill the water tank unless I'm going afar. Then I use it just for wash water :)
I wouldn't regret your lack of a forward tank too much, apparently it's equally bad for weight distribution according to my boats previous owner. He was a racer, though. Racers always seem to be trying to get weight out of the bow.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The E38 lists at the dock too, when the 40-gallon midships tank is full.

Bow tanks. They come into their own for extended cruising with full crew to anchorages, and eliminate the need to use clumsy portable water bottles. But water tankage needs depend on the cruising grounds, I imagine, and probably many or most of us schedule slips along the way, where a single tank can be easily refilled.

Anyhow, when a boat is half sunk with a large family and all its cruising gear and toys, I don;t think a full bow tank even gets noticed. :)

Stuphoto

Member III
Same sentiment. Our boat came with two rotomolded water tanks. I have replaced them both, but not because of the material but rather to have the shapes altered to better fit the compartments in the hull and also to add cleanout ports. We keep them clean inside, but there is still a chance of "plant growth" in the lines, so we flush them often. No "taste" to the water, tho.
That said, I have done a lot of deliveries where the owner had only bottled water to drink, and the tank water was only used for hand washing or dishwashing.....
:rolleyes:
My personal opinion is if the tanks are clean and used often I wouldn't hesitate drinking from them.
However with 40+ year old tanks and lines there could be mold or something worse growing inside.

Before drinking from it I would sterilize it, possibly several times.

Some people seem to like using bleach to do so, whereas some people claim bleach makes mold grow stronger, preferring a mixture of vinegar and water.

Personally, I didn't trust the tank in my 25, so I pulled it and use several blue camping jugs.
This is partly because my home port doesn't have water, so your stuck carrying jugs to the boat anyway.

If I ever decide to install a new tank I will probably do the same as you and have them built to fit a compartment nicely.

light24bulbs

Thank you so much all for the input. I've realized that I never followed up on this. It turned out that the foot pump one-way valve had failed, and so the pump was sucking air from it rather than the water tank. Unfortunately it couldn't be serviced easily and I simply pulled it out and capped off the line, and now we're in good shape! I'd rather have a seawater foot pump someday, anyway.
Thanks!

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
You guys don't drink the tank water, right?
No way. When I got the boat, the tank was completely covered in brown goo. I took it out and spent a long time trying to clean it out, including agitating it with pea gravel, days of sitting with bleach water, and many, many rinse cycles. The goo hasn't grown back but I am not willing to try it! In an emergency I probably would but not for day to day use.

Glad you got the problem sorted.