• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32-3 boom topping lift replacement

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Had a brain fart. I am wondering what the compression sleeve, not ferrules are made of.
toyed with changing to synthetic but don’t want to tear the boom apart again.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
//
Unfortunately the crimps on the ferrule at the thimble failed causing a bit of excitement. It was late in the season while raising the sail in rough seas. Finished the rest of the year using the second reef for the topping lift.
Not sure what caused the failure as I have made hundreds of cables with no issue, but none were stainless. I used a stainless ferrule and wonder if that might be part of it. Stainless is hard and doesn’t conform around the strands as well as softer material. From the pictures on this thread the ferrules don’t look to be stainless. Does anyone know what material they are made of?
Would be nice to have a topping lift I can trust.
My crimps on that wire have an orange/brown color. I wonder if they were copper?
The crimps (ferules) I've used to date on ss wire before have been some sort of soft gray metal, which probably integrates better with the ss wire than an ss ferule would (or, ss ferules just need more compression force than my tools can provide).
Given your TL failure experience (I can definitely imagine the interest that aroused on board), I'm inclined to just get WM to make up a replacement - we don't have a marine industry here in TN so I use WM's rigging shop in SC.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
My crimps on that wire have an orange/brown color. I wonder if they were copper?
The crimps (ferules) I've used to date on ss wire before have been some sort of soft gray metal, which probably integrates better with the ss wire than an ss ferule would (or, ss ferules just need more compression force than my tools can provide).
Given your TL failure experience (I can definitely imagine the interest that aroused on board), I'm inclined to just get WM to make up a replacement - we don't have a marine industry here in TN so I use WM's rigging shop in SC.
Posted of a Facebook sailing group and got a reply to use these Tin coated Copper Sleeves. Not the correct size, but they are rated for use with Stainless steel cable and for lifting applications. Also was suggested not to use Stainless as they are too hard to properly compress with hand tools.
1618542684219.png