32-3 Control Cable length

windblown

Member III
That store in Maine has control cables on sale today. I've been thinking we're overdue for replacement of these cables, but I hadn't gotten around to measuring length. Does anyone have guidance on the correct length for replacement of throttle and shift cables on an E32-3 with a Yacht Specialties steering pedestal?

peaman

Sustaining Member
I got 10 ft and 8 ft cables a couple years ago, which were good for my arrangement (wheel steering with YS pedestal, Universal M25XPB engine with ZF transmission). They were both a good deal shorter than what they replaced, so I suggest you check what you have before ordering. Cables I have seen have information stamped on the jacket near one end like shown in the photo in this link. You want the cables to be just long enough to get where they need to go, without any "hard" bends and without excess length. Cables are typically sold in 12" increments.

windblown

Member III
I got 10 ft and 8 ft cables a couple years ago, which were good for my arrangement (wheel steering with YS pedestal, Universal M25XPB engine with ZF transmission). They were both a good deal shorter than what they replaced, so I suggest you check what you have before ordering. Cables I have seen have information stamped on the jacket near one end like shown in the photo in this link. You want the cables to be just long enough to get where they need to go, without any "hard" bends and without excess length. Cables are typically sold in 12" increments.
Thank you! Didn’t know about the info on th jacket. Very helpful.

Puget sailor

Member II
I found length info on this site when ordering my new ones, perhaps from Peaman above? I have not yet installed them, but I can say that the ones on my boat, which appear to be original, are many feet longer than the needed and make a full gratuitous circumnavigation of the rudder post before heading toward the engine. No idea if that was standard practice, or Ericson just had too many long ones on hand. My boat log from new indicates stiff shifting has plagued the boats since the beginning, so I'm looking forward to getting the old ones out of there! I mention because it may or may not be a bad move to replicate what's in your boat. Mine is a 1985 32-3.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I found length info on this site when ordering my new ones, perhaps from Peaman above? I have not yet installed them, but I can say that the ones on my boat, which appear to be original, are many feet longer than the needed and make a full gratuitous circumnavigation of the rudder post before heading toward the engine. No idea if that was standard practice, or Ericson just had too many long ones on hand. My boat log from new indicates stiff shifting has plagued the boats since the beginning, so I'm looking forward to getting the old ones out of there! I mention because it may or may not be a bad move to replicate what's in your boat. Mine is a 1985 32-3.
I was able to shorten the cables by about 2 feet and route them more directly with better radius in the curves and overall smoother shifting, so it's definitely worth considering the routing carefully.
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
Same for me. One cable was shortened by 3 feet! No way to know the age of the ones I removed.

I was not present for the sea trial before I bought my boat, so the first time I operated it was for the 22 hour passage from NJ to RI. Arriving at my new home marina, without much sleep, the problem with the shift cable became clear. Shifting was unpredictable, and I could not tell clearly when I was in or out of gear. Since it was very early in the Spring, no one was around to watch as I clumsily pirouetted among the finger piers as my crew valiantly fended off the pilings. The difference in feel after I replaced the cables was massive, and very satisfying.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think the old Morse cables recommended a bigger radius of turn than today, hence much longer cables to keep the turns gentle.

Still nothing wrong with long for new cables, doesn't hurt performance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Considering the "perfect" length of each cable, I ponder a factory having a lot of different boat models in production at the same time, and trying to keep the stock of cable lengths within reason. It would be a challenge for any boat builder. In the 80's, EY would have had as many as six models simulaneously in production, Ericson and Olson. Cable runs would be different for the several with tiller/wheel options, too, causing more variation.

Last edited: