• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A nice write-up about Bruce King NA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Raining steadily here this week (finally), and an appropriate time to sit by the fire and enjoy an article about Mr. King.

kapnkd

kapnkd

Raining steadily here this week (finally), and an appropriate time to sit by the fire and enjoy an article about Mr. King.
Thanks for advising us of this great article on Mr King!! …Not only my design hero but also to a good friend of mine, Jack Telnack, now retired VP of Global Ford Design. (He was responsible for the FOX Body Mustangs, Tarus/Sable, Prob, Lincoln Mk 8 to name a few.) Jack also dearly loves both sailing and powerboats, having owned several of both over the years.

Jack actually did some consulting with Chris Craft after retiring from Ford and restored, to incredible customized perfection and then also maintained as such, …a classic CC 30’ Sportsman. 3A3DC896-9DC9-44EF-BDFC-6EE67C15517A.jpeg

I can’t wait to share with Jack this great article you shared with us on Bruce King!!

paulrtullos

Member I
thanks. here's a couple of descriptions

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On this site, put the word 'hawkeye' into the search box, upper right. Scroll down for some threads with cool Bruce King design trivia.
:egrin:

Chschaus

"Voila"
They left the San Juan 24 off the list of production boats he designed. Great little racer/cruiser. My first Sailboat.

Attachments

• Scintilla.jpg
    Scintilla.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 21

erikwfab

Member II
Thanks Bruce, passed Whitehawk in the 80's on the Cape Cod Canal while on schooner Spirit of Mass. Stunning vessel.
Sail our E36C here in SoCal all the time in a sea of modern production boats she really stands out, gets comments regularly, never tire of looking at her anchored and sailing her is even better.
Cheers,

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
thanks. here's a couple of descriptions

Great articles, Thanks!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I didn't realize he had designed the Hinckley picnic boats. A great eye for motorboats, too.
He did lots of boats for Hinckley. The 36 jet drive picnic boat and the larger versions of it, the talaria 29 runabout which could be optioned as a center console t top, the beautiful daysailer 42, and the the 70 foot semi custom sailboat. With all his accomplishments, you think he would have been inducted already but noooooooo...........One of the coolest power boats he did was this 30 foot all wood speedboat called rooster. It had this overhanging torpedo stern that hid the twin surface piercing props. Extremely fast and beautiful to look at, it was floating sculpture of the highest order.

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I often say to non-boat people that I love the look of my Ericson because she was designed in a time when people still thought plastic boats needed to be shaped like wooden boats but really Bruce’s aesthetic imperative demanded it. Sometimes I find the features of floating French Tylenol enticing but really this is the place to be.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I often say to non-boat people that I love the look of my Ericson because she was designed in a time when people still thought plastic boats needed to be shaped like wooden boats but really Bruce’s aesthetic imperative demanded it. Sometimes I find the features of floating French Tylenol enticing but really this is the place to be.
AMEN!!

As a now aging lover of the water since the mid 50’s and sailing since the mid 60’s, my love of growing up around traditional looking wooden boats, their more solid feel, down to the special smell of salt water in their bilge - and - most of all…magical look of bristle finished brightwork topside and below deck interior did and still is a resounding shot of true adrenaline in my old age!

I’ve been lucky enough to be an automotive designer from ‘86 till retiring in ‘05 with a deep and passionate appreciation for all modes of transportation. (Cars & boats are more interlaced than you realize! …The 49-50 Lincoln’s and Mercury’s had a side line echoed and borrowed from the decks of the bigger Chris Craft vessels!)

…I’m still close friends with the actual former VP of Ford Design Globally and we still get together often for a “beer and a burger”. He even did a brief stint as a consultant to Chris Craft. Eventually, our conversations end up discussing current designs of cars and, of course, BOATS.

We both usually concur that the more modern designs have now somewhat (and - sadly) “Gone off the DEEP END”!

Esthetics and practicality of traditional boat design have now given way to Jacuzzi styled cockpits followed by massive freeboard areas punctured with massive ports (picture windows). Lines no longer freely flow leading one’s eye from bow to stern in a smooth manner. (It’s even worse on power craft!)

Not saying that the new technologies and advancements aren’t good, BUT indeed, we’re seeing a LOT more “Edsel” types of designs emerging as the supposed absolute future for us! ….Choose WISELY my friends!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just returned from two weeks in Greece, most of it on a big Lagoon cat out of Athens with five couples. Houseboat with a mast, but they serve the purpose.

The remarkable thing to my eye was the side-by-side existence of today's new designs, the wide-butt Beneteaus for charter and the lumbering Kon-Tiki cats, with so many ancient caiques. Apparently tourist trade encourages restoration, but they're everywhere. Fishing-boat derived, double-enders often, heavy wood rebuilt again and again--and on the rich islands varnished bright. It was a feast for the sailor's eye.

We hardly got to sail (not that a Lagoon 55 can actually sail) because of torrential rains and howling winds, but the boats around us were swell. At home, my '84 Ericson is considered a restoration.That made me laugh just thinking about it. Even the abandoned hulls were a study in loveliness.

IMG_8602.JPG...IMG_8610.JPG

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Esthetics and practicality of traditional boat design have now given way to Jacuzzi styled cockpits followed by massive freeboard areas punctured with massive ports (picture windows). Lines no longer freely flow leading one’s eye from bow to stern in a smooth manner. (It’s even worse on power craft!

This evolution in fiberglass boats is discussed in the latest iteration of my fathers book. Briefly, it's broken into 4 phases.

Phase 1: Early fiberglass designs are based on their wooden predecessors. The plugs for the molds are actually constructed from wood.
Finished boats had applied wooden trim.

Phase 2: Fiberglass boats evolve away from their wooden counterparts to form their own identity. Bright finished wood trim becomes a nuisance rather than a badge of honor, while the previous general boat proportions generally continue.

Phase 3: Boat shows spring up worldwide as manufacturers utilize these venues to promote boating as a family activity, furthering women's
participation in boat selection and buying decisions. Feedback from these events comes the impetus to improve and expand accomodations for a given length. Even more pressure is brought to increase beam/length by the emerging IOR rule with it's fools dream of continued racing with the family racer/cruiser. The E39 is an early representation of this, before the light displacement quest superseded.

Phase 4: After the disastrous Fastnet race in 1979, the IOR falls from grace and there is a renewed interest in cruising. The quest for more interior volume continues with vehemence. This is coupled with wider sterns, molded in steps, plumb stems, higher freeboard, and straighter sheerlines.
This evolution he never could comfortably embrace, preferring to hold on to some semblance of traditional aesthetics, and seaworthiness.

Phase 5: This is not in the book, but we had a discussion about it after I came back from a recent trip to Catalina astonished at the hideous lines and grotesque hull shapes I was now seeing in this next generation of sailboats.

In case anybody is wondering, this book is not available to the public just yet but I am trying to get him release it as a print on demand offering. I will let you know if and when it becomes available.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I just returned from two weeks in Greece, most of it on a big Lagoon cat out of Athens with five couples. Houseboat with a mast, but they serve the purpose.

The remarkable thing to my eye was the side-by-side existence of today's new designs, the wide-butt Beneteaus for charter and the lumbering Kon-Tiki cats, with so many ancient caiques. Apparently tourist trade encourages restoration, but they're everywhere. Fishing-boat derived, double-enders often, heavy wood rebuilt again and again--and on the rich islands varnished bright. It was a feast for the sailor's eye.

We hardly got to sail (not that a Lagoon 55 can actually sail) because of torrential rains and howling winds, but the boats around us were swell. At home, my '84 Ericson is considered a restoration.That made me laugh just thinking about it. Even the abandoned hulls were a study in loveliness.
WOW!!! …In your first photo,…Every rib, plank and piece of wood literally shouts out an untold story to us all of better days, hard work suffered and yet a faithful endurance against the environment to which it was subjected too!

Awesome Christian!!!