A Perfect Pitch Prop

Gary and Terri

I have been talking with CDI about their prop for a Yanmar
1GM10 that we have in our E-27. It all souinds good and they guarantee satisfaction or will exchange it for another size or full refund. The question is has anyone use one of these? Am I wasting time? Our curent prop works fine but I think it lacks a little in the thrust dept. Those of you that have one what can you tell me about it? Thanks,Gary and Terri

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
An outlandish ($) alternative...

While you are still shopping, you might consider a feathering prop. I got a good deal, several years ago, direct from Martec on their feathering two-blade.
I do realize that this would use up all your Christmas, fathers day, and birthday checks...
:)

But, then you could adjust the pitch anytime you have airtank and facemask on... Unlike the "MaxProp" the Martec featherer has external adjustment. I like being able to dial it in just right. Also, you will wonderous reverse power with much less prop walk.
My experiences, FWIW.

Loren in Portland, OR

:cool:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You are right, Martin,
Yes I know... but that is the "VR" model, and has a larger hub, and, AFAIK is not avail. on the smaller shaft size/smallest diameter models. Cost is higher, as well. Max does get the nod for slenderest hub on their standard model (the one that requires about 4 hands at once to allign the parts when changing the pitch).

Both cost and external adjustment are why I like the Martec featherer.

Loren

gwin

I have a CDI on my 32-2 with a 20 hp Betamarine BD722. I have had a good experience with the CDI, and would say it does everything they claim it will especially in a chop.

In my case, I was replacing a prop that was way under pitch. The CDI was a good way to get the pitch correct and see how the engine would perform. I did try the Extendo model at first which did not fit, so he sent out another and never said a word about the Extendo having been in the water.

Good luck,

Clay

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Loren,
Not only do you need four hands (especially on the three
blade) but factor in the cost of a haulout to do the work.
A friend claims to have done it in the water, but I wouldn't
risk it. Drop one little part and you are s.o.l. !
Cheers,

Martin