Alcohol now illegal in California?

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
My idea of retrofitting my E33RH with one of those cool Origo 1500 non pressurized alcohol stoves was shattered yesterday when I found out that denatured alcohol is now illegal in California as of 2020. That explains why even tho there is great demand, they are no longer selling those stoves . Anyone know what’s going on ? Sounds crazy to me . The government should be looking for bigger fish to fry ..:)

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
About a year ago or so the regulations were eased. I was looking for it for my stove and found it at West Marine in the paint section even though there was no stock in the fuel section. It seems as soon as they get it in they sell it out. But it is here and legal.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Can't those stoves run on several other kinds of safe liquid fuel (that doesn't produce toxic byproducts and is't explosive)?
What about cheep 'drinking' alcohol? (EverClear, really cheep vodka, etc.?)

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Regular vodka is too low an alcohol content to burn without being heated first. Need to be over about 100 proof to light at room temperature, and even then it will quickly burn off the alcohol leaving the 50% water remaining in your stove. Everclear (185 - 190 proof) will work tho.

But don't buy it as fuel from any boat supply place or you'll just pay boat bucks for it. Go to your local hardware store and go to the paint thinner section. They will have it I'm sure.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Regular vodka is too low an alcohol content to burn without being heated first. Need to be over about 100 proof to light at room temperature, and even then it will quickly burn off the alcohol leaving the 50% water remaining in your stove. Everclear (185 - 190 proof) will work tho.

But don't buy it as fuel from any boat supply place or you'll just pay boat bucks for it. Go to your local hardware store and go to the paint thinner section. They will have it I'm sure.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy
I guess what I am worried more about is the reason why it was made illegal. Are there biproducts of combustion that would make it dangerous ? Of course, I am not going to cook with no ventilation in the boat, but I was concerned when I saw on another thread (maybe in another forum) that someone was looking to replace their Origo burners because they were getting old and setting off his CO monitor.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No problem with our CO monitor in 20 years and we heat all of our vittles on an Origo 6000. I buy the gallon-size metal cans of alcohol in the paint section of my local hardware store. But then, I am not in California.
Just do not drink it; it is "denatured" alcohol. :(

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
No problem with our CO monitor in 20 years and we heat all of our vittles on an Origo 6000. I buy the gallon-size metal cans of alcohol in the paint section of my local hardware store. But then, I am not in California.
Just do not drink it; it is "denatured" alcohol. :(
Interesting...The 6000 would be cool because it has an oven, but I understand the double burner 4000 is 22" wide. I am not sure I can get it in my space with the gimbals as well, which is why I might just get a one burner 1500. Does your 6000 have gimbals ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does your 6000 have gimbals ?
Stock gimbals, and they are mounted on teak blocks that narrow up the opening by about 3/4 inch on each side. I wonder if the the boat was designed for a potentially wider galley range? (I recall that there was a North American width standard that was different than the Euro standard. Also, the newer stove vendors at that time might have been European, and builders like Ericson wanted to be able to choose from a wider range of stoves.)

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
With some small modifications, I was able to fit an American standard size stove in my 34. The oven is quite a bit larger. It made me wonder why Ericson didn't put an American Standard size unit in the boat to begin with.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
About a year ago or so the regulations were eased. I was looking for it for my stove and found it at West Marine in the paint section even though there was no stock in the fuel section. It seems as soon as they get it in they sell it out. But it is here and legal.
Here's the story on why/how/under what circumstances WestMarine can source denatured alco...er..."stove fuel."

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
I live in California and also discovered this (bizarre) issue last year. I now use the yellow HEET gas line antifreeze product in my Origo. They are available in 4 packs from Walmart at a cost per volume that is cheaper than the old denatured alcohol I used to buy at Home Depot pre-ban. Works great, easier to pour into the cannister than the big gallon container. I love the simplicity of my Origo, and don't cook aboard enough to justify a propane conversion. I do have a CO detector in my boat, I've never seen an issue caused by the stove.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I live in California and also discovered this (bizarre) issue last year. I now use the yellow HEET gas line antifreeze product in my Origo. They are available in 4 packs from Walmart at a cost per volume that is cheaper than the old denatured alcohol I used to buy at Home Depot pre-ban. Works great, easier to pour into the cannister than the big gallon container. I love the simplicity of my Origo, and don't cook aboard enough to justify a propane conversion. I do have a CO detector in my boat, I've never seen an issue caused by the stove.
I checked the Walmart site and they show a price of $6.59 for a single bottle and $6.53 for a 4-pack! I assume that the $6.59 price for 4x12 oz. bottles must be correct based on what you have said.

What is this stuff exactly? Have you noticed any differences between using it and denatured alcohol in the past?

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Make sure there is no solvents in that stuff. You don't want to be breathing it. I'd rather be using some form of pure alcohol + water.

Chris Mc.

Member III
My idea of retrofitting my E33RH with one of those cool Origo 1500 non pressurized alcohol stoves was shattered yesterday when I found out that denatured alcohol is now illegal in California as of 2020. That explains why even tho there is great demand, they are no longer selling those stoves . Anyone know what’s going on ? Sounds crazy to me . The government should be looking for bigger fish to fry ..:)
Why? Because the fine print always reads “According to the State of California........” :(

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Make sure there is no solvents in that stuff. You don't want to be breathing it. I'd rather be using some form of pure alcohol + water.

Isn’t alcohol itself a solvent?

My understanding is that California is cracking down on products that contain VOC’s for some time now. You can technically still procure them but many big box stores aren’t stocking and Amazon won’t ship either. Combine that with the supply shortages and the fact that some of these solvents are also used to manufacture cannabis products.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Absolutely. :(
But then, so is water.
It depends on what substance you are trying to clean or dissolve. The shop I have been working in for many months has marked cans of alcohol, 'paint thinner', acetone, and lacquer thinner. Also boxes of vinyl gloves, and suits and respirators! And cautions about wearing eye protection.

Milagros

Member II
I checked the Walmart site and they show a price of $6.59 for a single bottle and $6.53 for a 4-pack! I assume that the $6.59 price for 4x12 oz. bottles must be correct based on what you have said.

What is this stuff exactly? Have you noticed any differences between using it and denatured alcohol in the past?
It looks like the HEET is almost pure Methanol. This is good to know as a backup, but since it's marketed as an injector cleaner some of the additives that aren't disclosed could be of concern. Apparently backpackers love the stuff but I'm more concerned about fumes cooking in the boat vs. out in the open on the trail. I travel to OR/NV frequently enough that picking up a few gals of denatured usually works for me. Although I think other people have the same idea so the stores right near the border can be low on stock. (I'm looking at you, Medford, OR).

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member

My understanding is that California is cracking down on products that contain VOC’s for some time now. You can technically still procure them but many big box stores aren’t stocking and Amazon won’t ship either. Combine that with the supply shortages and the fact that some of these solvents are also used to manufacture cannabis products.
I meant harmful solvents ( of course ) that are added to the alcohol ! If the product is not marketed as a cooking fuel, there is no liability for the company that adds chemicals to the product that are harmful when burned . I’m not sure I want to burn a product that is marketed as “injector cleaner” on the boat ?