Alternator

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Final note: The best reason to go through the hoops of re-doing one's power system is that it forces you to understand what all the damn wires are there for.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Final note: The best reason to go through the hoops of re-doing one's power system is that it forces you to understand what all the damn wires are there for.
Yes, I guess we all need to go through that, at least mentally. But the trip really soured me on all the electrical sales folks over selling all the complexity and capacity to bedazzled yacht owners who may not be starting with an idea of what they actually need and will use. Understanding acceptance rate of batteries and the charge rate of smart regulators is the key. But having gone through all that, I now realize that a couple of old 100ah flooded batteries, the old Motorola 50amp alternator and a 100w solar panel and regulator probably meets the needs of most folks if not doing air conditioning or induction ranges.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Yes, I guess we all need to go through that, at least mentally. But the trip really soured me on all the electrical sales folks over selling all the complexity and capacity to bedazzled yacht owners who may not be starting with an idea of what they actually need and will use. Understanding acceptance rate of batteries and the charge rate of smart regulators is the key. But having gone through all that, I now realize that a couple of old 100ah flooded batteries, the old Motorola 50amp alternator and a 100w solar panel and regulator probably meets the needs of most folks if not doing air conditioning or induction ranges.
Now you're talking my language. Though it's a 200w solar panel, and I bring aboard a couple large capacity rechargeable Bluetti batteries for anything that requires AC on our trips.

peaman

Sustaining Member
But having gone through all that, I now realize that a couple of old 100ah flooded batteries, the old Motorola 50amp alternator and a 100w solar panel and regulator probably meets the needs of most folks if not doing air conditioning or induction ranges.
That exactly describes my system after doing a significant rework 2 years ago. I also have dedicated start and house banks. All charging goes to the house bank and an ACR tops up the start bank. I replaced the common Off-1-Both-2 switch with a dual switch to keep the two banks separate. A Victron battery monitor keeps me informed on system status.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Right, and when cruising no need to recharge anywhere near 100 percent. Discharge to 50 percent, charge back to 80 percent (avoiding the very slow charge rate when topping off a battery--the nonlinear factor). A bigger alternator with smart regulator can do that in somewhere around an hour of engine time. Which if you motor a little every cruising day, happens "automatically."

Add up the typical drain per day and see how close it is to 30 amps. Most appliances don't have to be on all the time, including the refrigerator.