Anchors for E 38-200

rbaron

Member I
As new owners of and Ericson 38-200 we are planning to replace the existing bow 25 lb Danforth with a new bow anchor for our trips to the Channel Islands where we stay out for a week or more. The Danforth is rated ok for a 38 footer up to winds of 20 knots. Not enough. We have seen 45 knots out there and its easy to imagine more. We are closely considering a Delta Anchor but are wondering if the 35 pounder is sufficient or whether we should go with the 44 lb unit. Also anyone have experience with ROCNA or Manson Supreme hooks? Size? We were looking at Bruce's until we read the 2005 test results. OUCH

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I guess it depends on the type of bottom you are trying to set the anchor in. I use a 35lb CQR on my E38 and it has never failed to set nor has it dragged. The most wind I've seen was 25kts or so. I'm a believer in chain. The more you have the better. Currently I'm using 50ft of 3/8" chain then 5/8" nylon rode. Thats about all my back can haul up. If I go to a windlass I will use more chain but reduce to 5/16". The reason I like the chain is the catenary effect it produces, it keeps the pull on the anchor as parallel to the sea floor as possible, and that is a good thing. If I had to buy a new anchor it would be a Rocna/Manson. They appear to hold better than anything else by a large margin. RT

jimk

Member II
I have a 45lb CQR with 85 ft 5/16 chain and 250 5/8 rope on my 38-200. I also installed a windless for the help. This was all done over the winter so its not been tested but in the past I had a 35lb CQR on a 31 footer used all summer up north and never had a problem up to 35 knots of wind. I got a screaming deal on this anchor and built my system around it.

u079721

Contributing Partner
As new owners of and Ericson 38-200 we are planning to replace the existing bow 25 lb Danforth with a new bow anchor for our trips to the Channel Islands where we stay out for a week or more. The Danforth is rated ok for a 38 footer up to winds of 20 knots. Not enough. We have seen 45 knots out there and its easy to imagine more. We are closely considering a Delta Anchor but are wondering if the 35 pounder is sufficient or whether we should go with the 44 lb unit. Also anyone have experience with ROCNA or Manson Supreme hooks? Size? We were looking at Bruce's until we read the 2005 test results. OUCH

Well I certainly would not discourage you from getting a ROCNA, since by all reports they are fantastic anchors.

But I guess I do feel like at least putting in a good word for the Bruce. We cruised the Great Lakes, where a Bruce was a common fixture on the bows of many a sailboat. And while I too have read the test reports suggesting the Bruce does not hold well, all I can say is that in practice it works just fine (and a durn sight better than the CQR my buddy used on his Catalina 38, as he was always dragging). We had over 300 nights at anchor on our 38 with just our 33 lb Bruce on 20 feet of 3/8" chain and 300 feet of 5/8" line, and never dragged anchor - not once. I'm sure there are now better anchors than the Bruce, but it does work a lot better than the test reports would suggest. And it always set on the first try too.

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have used a 35lb Mansen Supreme for 1 season now and it is awesome. I have never slept better. Most of my anchoring is in mud. It sets fast and holds well. I have 50' of 5/16" chain. I also like the Bruce but they are no longer made and I honestly feel the Mansen is superior. Here is some good info on anchors:

http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112776&highlight=anchor

Many anchors hold well but you have to also consider how well they reset if you turn 180°.

Last edited:

oceandreams89

Member II
We also use a 35 lb CQR with 40' of chain and never have dragged a foot in winds over 30 knots, and in sometime deep water and poor holding at Block Island RI. I also clip on a Sentinal anchor made from a 18 # dinghy mushroom anchor. I have this on a length of 3/8 braid with a ss clip that I attach to the main anchor rode, or a link in the chain. This adds weight to the anchor line, and helps reduce the pulling shock load on the rode. It adds a nice caternary to the rode, and increases holding power big time. The other nice thing about the sentinal on the line is that it effectively increases the scope, since the line is held down more horizontally, so you can have less line out, with the same holding power. I have had great success with this setup, and sleep very soundly at night.

Just my $.02

Todd

rbaron

Member I
E 38 anchors

Thanks so much for the fast responses. I should mention that we are using about 35 feet of 3/8 chain and do have a sea wolf windlass. We usually set at 5 or 6 to one due to crowded anchorages. I agree that from what I have read that the ROCNA and Mansion Surpreme are among the best anchors available. BUT pricey. ROCNA 's on line chart suggests a 44 lb [Rocna 20] anchor for our displacement @ $600. A 44 lb Delta is half the price and scores almost as well on the tests. Any Delta users with a report? Thoughts about size. The idea of a sentinel is a very good one.
Bob Baron
s/'v Beyond Reason
Ericson 38-200

Peregrine

Member II
Anyone have experieince with the Ultra anchor?

I am in process of upgrading my ground tackle on my E380. I am leaning toward a 46 lb Ultra anchor on 250' of 5/16 HT chain. I am planning using a Lewmar V3 windlass with gypsy and capstan set inside the anchor locker. This will require some significant fiberglass and stainless steel work, but I want to avoid a toe-stibber on deck.

Since I am planning a Mexico trip next winter I want a reliable and easy to use system.

Any thoughts or experience with the Ultra anchor or windlass installation in the anchor locker?

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
San Diego

Touchrain

Member III
We have a 1980 E38. We've used a 33# Bruce for five years in the Pacific Northwest and the only time we dragged was up in the Gulf Islands in Montague Harbor (lousy holding) with 35 k of wind and a Catalina 34 rafting to us. I picked up a 45# CQR used for under $200 and no bends. According to Practical Sailor, Bruce is better setting and CQR has greater holding, particularly in grass bottoms. Love the Bruce and plan to continue as primary anchor. Also have 40 ft of chain 5/16 HT with rope, and lofrans 1,000 windlass. Plan to get more chain when we head south to Mexico. Anyone have a suggestion on how much? 200' ? 150? 250? Of course I am bothered by weight in the bow. Great site. As an aside, does anyone know which t-ball fittings Ericson used on the 38? Gibb? The ones for Selden fittings? I am replacing the standing rigging before heading out in September.

Last edited:

stbdtack

Member III
E38 anchor...

Have used CQR, Bruce, Danforth, Fortress extensively while cruising. Just bought a Rocna 20 last year for my 38 to replace a 45# CQR. Amazing performance so far and Im not easily impressed. Well worth the price. Sat for a week in Catalina, 60 ft deep and 125ft of chain out. Funny everyone says they sleep better...its true.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Was just viewing the video and it is impressive. Do you think the fact that the pull was completely horizontal (no catenary effect) had anything to do with the CQR not setting? Mine has always set pretty quickly especially on the type of bottom this test was done. I wonder if you somehow set the pull for the test from a location 15 or 20 feet up in the air to simulate the pull angle from the bow of a boat in 15 feet of water if it would make a difference? At any rate the Rocna is pretty amazing!

Sven

Seglare
I was encouraged by the video of the bruce. The Rocna did great in the hard sand but I expect to also anchor in boulder/rocky areas and I suspect the bruce would do better there, on average. The fact that the bruce dug into the hard sand even when the chain seemed to reverberate and jerk it loose was very comforting.

As with almost everything having to do with sailing, the right compromise is the answer.

The saying "if they don't laugh it isn't big enough" is one that I happen to believe in. We do get some giggles so I expect to sleep very soundly as long as nobody drags down on us. Others, like Sam, are more polite and refer to it as a "manly anchor". We have a 66 lb claw on an 3/8 3G all-chain rode. I would have preferred a 5/16 B3 chain but that is not what would fit on the gypsy.

I am not concerned about the work to raise anchor but I am concerned about the veeeery low gear ratio of the manual windlass. I am concerned that it will take too long to raise the anchor in a pinch, but we'll have to experiment.

-Sven

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
What windlass are you using? You should be able to change the gypsy with a little work. 3/8 chain and a 66lb anchor on the 39? Wow sounds like a lot of weight in the bow? How much chain?

mark reed

Member III
Our 38 came w/ a 33lb Bruce and we used it almost exclusively for 7 years in the PNW. The rest of the system is 150' of 5/16 G4 chain and a Lofrans windlass. Never had a problem with the Bruce, but decided to get a bigger anchor before heading to Mexico last year. We now carry a 55lb Rocna and are very impressed with how quickly it sets. If the boat is moving, you better hold on, because when the anchor grabs, the boat STOPS. We have also used Deltas, CQRs, and Danforths on this and other boats, but the Rocna is now our favorite.