Anyone have experience with this manual winlass?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No personal experience, but that looks exactly like the one a friend put on his CT-38. He was cruising the west site of Vancouver Island island several summers with his. He liked the simplicity of it. I recall that he had a 12" handle for it.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Loren: Do you recall where on the bow he had mounted it? I was thinking perhaps just rear of the anchor locker so that one could crank rode directly in and out? No room in front or sides of my locker. I don't know if this location could support the stress? Ad states it uses the winch handle.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IIRC that model has an anchor locker set back a little way from the bow, and there was room in front of that compartment for a windlass.
You should find some past threads here discussing windlass locations on the Ericson 35-3 (and 34-2) and of course the E-38.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
With the E-33, I had thought a lot about the lack of windlass and chain roller. If I end up doing a lot of cruising, I may look at one of these manual windlass'. It looks like the perfect solution if they work well.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Are you looking for a vertical windlass? I have a used one for sale and can give you details if you’re interested.
Bolo, if you still have that windlass, and if it is manual/non-electric, I am interested to know details.