• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bilge Hose Replacement Battle

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We installed the two vane pumps yesterday.
The diaphragm's on my Jabsco bilge pumps seem to last 20 years or more. What is the life expectancy for the vanes in your model? I change out the impeller in the raw water pump on our engine at least every other year, but I do not know how long it might last if ignored...

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The diaphragm's on my Jabsco bilge pumps seem to last 20 years or more. What is the life expectancy for the vanes in your model? I change out the impeller in the raw water pump on our engine at least every other year, but I do not know how long it might last if ignored...
One should not ignore a pump with an impeller. A few years ago I spoke with a Jabsco Rep who advised the following: 1) apply grease that doesn't degrade rubber when installing the impeller, 2) run the pump for a few seconds several times per month to avoid the impeller developing a set, 3) ensure the wires are the correct size to minimize voltage drop and are corrosion free.
I have followed that advice for many years, and have not had a problem with our pumps.
Frank

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Everything's a tradeoff. The limiting factor in my decision was physical space. Vane pumps are smaller and more affordable than diaphragm pumps. Yes they will probably require more maintenance, but I tried to make this easier by orienting them horizontally. This should provide adequate access while preventing any leak past the shaft seal from entering the motor. They are self priming like diaphragm pumps and should not be as susceptible to resistance on the outflow side as centrifugal pumps. The electrical side should be good with short runs (using a relay for the shower pump) and adequately sized wire. Of course this is all in theory until I've had a chance to live with the new setup.