• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Builders plate

Emerald

I'd really like something like this in bronze for the Independence 31.

Thanks to all for putting the pieces together on this.

Guy Stevens

Designer almost done

My art person is almost done with the designs. I have to have a certain file format, with some special offsets, draft and a whole lot of casting specific stuff.

We had to have several meetings because he isn't a boater and really didn't understand what we were doing with them or how they needed to look final product. We have him on the right path now, and he gets it....

The patterns should be ordered today or tomorrow. Time to get them back, fist casting in about 2 weeks. Then I will post photos and prices.

(I have to cast one to see how much it is going to weigh, and how long the set up takes.)

I am also working on some custom ideas for them which I will also cast and post photos of as available.

SurabyaKid

Member III
Guy and I traded some emails on this over the weekend.

He has the rubber stamps made for the molds (& they look very good!) and was hoping to possible do some preliminary casting this week...circumstances permitting.

Pat

Guy Stevens

Patterns are reported made

The patterns are reported as made today, and should ship to us by Monday. Once here we can try an initial casting of the plate series. (We made several different patterns.) The pattern makers are new, as our old ones seem to have gone out of business, so we shall see how they turn out.

As soon as we have something cast, we will post some photos here.

Guy
:)

Guy Stevens

WOW These turned out great

OK so here are some photos of the Solid Bronze hand sand cast builders plates.

These are the first ones that we have done. They are a handmade product, and there are going to be some small casting flaws in them. These are the first batch so they should get a little better as we go on... I would be perfectly happy with either of these on my personal boat. They may also get a little, but not much, thinner for the final product.

The admiral, who knows that she has a custom one coming with a half hull and the boat name on it, wanted to mount this one tonight.

Also if there is interest I can do a belt buckle version I think.

Anyway here they are......

The one with the clock and barometer was photoshoped to take away my hand holding the plate on the wall. No other photoshopping was done on any of them.

I am working out a price point, and it will depend on how many people want them. I am also going to cast some custom plates next week to give everyone an idea of what is possible with the custom ones.

I need some feedback on what you guys think.

Attachments

• better-both-with-quarter.jpg
    better-both-with-quarter.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 70
  • thickness.jpg
    thickness.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 71
  • ericsonyachtsplacement.jpg
    ericsonyachtsplacement.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 60
  • left-half.jpg
    left-half.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
Guy,

They look great!

I'm in....Probably for one of the Generic ones as they were closest to the original builders plate.

Thanks for all your work on making this happen.

Pat

Brian K

Member III
Excellent!! I'm probably in for the generic version, but curious about how the hull number would be applied to the other version. Would that be up to the individual or do you plan to cast the number in? Wow, this will look beautiful mounted on teak!

Mindscape

Member III
I'm in

Guy - first - thanks for doing this, to you and all involved. Second I'm in for at least a generic and interested in what some of the options on custom plates would be along with pricing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm in, and would echo what Brian asked about HIN engraving (?) . Or, were you imagining only a hull number? I guess I would have to decide on having simply "#8", or, "#108", or "O-34 #8", or ??

Loren

Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
Casting size

In a side email exchange Guy indicated that the size of the two castings are very close to the size of the originals. This helps me a bit as I was going to mount in the original position on the lower companionway interior teak frame.

Pat