• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Builders plate

Guy Stevens

We are getting there very slowly... I have had a lot of pattern problems

The set of patterns is supposed to be done on Monday of next week.... We have been through a couple of pattern makers trying to get what we need. The place I got the first ones made unfortunately went out of business...

Once I get the patterns I will start casting them. I am hoping to be able to cast between 6 and 12 at a time. Then they still have to be cut apart, sanded, and polished. However I am hoping to have something resembling a run of them soon.

Guy
:)

Guy Stevens

Yes still doing these, it just taking longer than expected

This is the first set of plate casting that we have done. So we have run into some issues that we are trying to solve....

I managed to cast 3 plates out of the 24 that I attempted to pour weekend before last, but we did advance some knowledge on how to make them thinner, and how to poor more at one time... (This is the problem that we have making them. Doing them one at a time means each plate was taking about 2 hours to make on a perfect day, and more like 4 on a not perfect day).

The next three people in line should be receiving a message from me this week....

Issues we have overcome so far: The first was that we had to get the patterns made. I now have something like 50 stamps (mirror images of what you cast with), instead of patterns... (Anyone want a stamp to go with their plate? :) ) We do have a pattern for casting 12 of them at a time..... We are working on the gating and feeds to get it to cast 12 at a time.

Guy

Lucky Dog

Member III
Guy,

Are you using a STL file for the pattern. How many are you ganging at a time? What kind or sand? If not petrobond what grain count?

Guy Stevens

Petrabond

We are using petrabond sand. We are getting ready to cast again. The issue last time was ours as we didn't have the runners and gates correct. We are trying to cast 8-12 at a time.

The issue with the last set was that we don't want the plates to be too thick, as they just weigh more for no benefit, so we decreased the plate thickness, and that caused issues with them cooling too fast. So we need to change the Gating system, without having the gating take hours to cut off the plates.

Since it is a side project it has taken longer to solve the issues than we had anticipated.

Guy

hodo

Member III
ID Plates

Guy, I just want to say "Thank You" for your time and effort to produce a quality item. Being sailboaters, we understand that you dont always get where you want to be at the time you want to be there. I hope you are taking time for your self and family at this time of year. My philosiphy any more is "I don't have a plan, and I'm sticking to it!"
I'll tip a glass for your efforts, at least one, maybe two......
Harold and Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

C. Trembanis

Member III
Whats the beef??

After waiting nearly 16 mons. for a builders plate I decided to have
one engraved. "If you don't have a plan" then don't volenteer one....

There is old saying, "if you want something done give it to a busy person".

Chris

SurabyaKid

Member III
Guy,

I'm going to second Hodo's comments on Thanking you for picking this up on your own time and own budget for the benefit of the community.

I'm sure the next generation will exceed the first and will be worth the
wait for those who do!

Happy Holidays to all!

Pat

C. Trembanis

Member III
Free Builders Plate

Guy,

I'm going to second Hodo's comments on Thanking you for picking this up on your own time and own budget for the benefit of the community.

I'm sure the next generation will exceed the first and will be worth the
wait for those who do!

Happy Holidays to all!

Pat

If Guy is making these plates for free (on his own his budget) than I'd be kissing up as well.... 16 mons.

SurabyaKid

Member III
First of all this is not Sailing Anarchy, so leave the attitude at the door.

Second of all, I stand by my comments...He has taken all the risk both in his money for development and his reputation in pulling this off. He only gets reimbursed for his development money (molds etc) when he does get a plate that he can produce at a reasonable cost (both in his time and materials) that the community will buy. No one should have an expectation of entitlement to anything more.

I know he lost money on the first generation plate that I was lucky to be able to buy. If he needs to take the time to get it to the point where it is a break even (his stated goal) then I think the community that wants plates owes it to him to do so. After all the community is no further behind whether it is 16 months or 16 minutes as this is a nice to have item and anyone can choose to opt out for a perceived more expedient solution.

I am confident enough in my belief in Guy and his intentions that I will sell my first generation plate at my cost and wait for the next generation. PM me with your Address & Email and I will send you a PayPal invoice for the plate & shipping.

Pat

C. Trembanis

Member III
Received one crafty, artistic, looking builders plate. Beautiful bronze.
Guy you did better than GOOD. Thanks I"ll treasure it. So will Ourania E27.

Chris Trembanis

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plaque Status

How's the plaque project coming along?
I was just talking about varnish and other boat projects with my neighbor who was working on his spotless E-38/200, yesterday.
His latest challenge is finding the "right" place for the ss cradle for his new life raft. Between the mast base and forward hatch seems to be best. We keep ours down below, and figure that getting the 50# valise on deck will seem lighter and easier if we are sinking and well-motivated by fear...
:0

He asked if I knew the status on the cast plaques, as he remembers asking for one too.
So, it seems that perhaps enough time has gone by to pose the question.

Anyone?
Bueller??

Thanks much,
Loren

:egrin:

Guy Stevens

Taking a lot longer than expected

I have not forgotten, nor have I given up on this project.

I have put it on the back burner while working on my business...

I have a few here even that I have to get off to the next people on the list that I have not had a chance to do yet.

Stay tuned...

Guy

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Status?

Heading into the New Year, is there any progress happening on this project?
I have a place on a refinished bulkhead for "our" plaque, whenever it shows up.
:egrin:

Thanks again,
Loren