Cabin top winch replacement, what is the recommended size??

Richie 32-3

Member I
Planning on replacing two cabin top witches on my 32-3, for mainsheet and main halyard. Should I go with a #30 or # 40 winch ? I currently have a Lewmar 24- 2 speed non st for mainsheet and a Lewmar 8 non st for main halyard. Mainsheet seems undersized the main halyard is ok. Thanks

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm pleased with my Lewmar 30ST, replacing Barient 19ST as mainsheet winch. Plenty big enough for me for that application.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I changed out my EY-installed pair of housetop winches from 30ST to the on-sale 40ST. Not really required for raising a sail, but much appreciated when winching someone up the mast.

(Sold the 'old' Lewmar pair for a quick $500. cash, too. That changes the arithmetic a lot..... used ST winches are in high demand.)

kapnkd

kapnkd
We put a pair of 2speed self tailing Harken 32’s on our cabin top. (Good pulling power for taking someone up the mast too.)

FE2879D4-7E90-45DA-9EB0-194AC51C53DC.jpegF30A134E-3608-44F9-A44F-51FA779E7238.jpeg

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I see two speed winches seem to be the common factor here. Would one speed winches just be wrong for this application?

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I can get my hands on two Barient 21 two speed. Not self tailing though. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone? They are big.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I can get my hands on two Barient 21 two speed. Not self tailing though. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone? They are big.
I really value our ST winches that came with our '88 boat. Another thing that had I knew how nice this feature was... would have been upgraded on our prior boat!

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I really value our ST winches that came with our '88 boat. Another thing that had I knew how nice this feature was... would have been upgraded on our prior boat!
I think ive been trying to talk myself into the opposite. For no other reason than I could get these now. But all logic tells me to wait for the right ones. This is next years project anyway.