Can anyone recommend a good tiller minder for my 1973 E-27?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Can anyone recommend a good tiller minder for my 1973 E-27? I am still fighting the tiller on long windless crossings under power to the Channel Islands. Makes it hard to enjoy the crossing. I'm not looking for a auto pilot, just something to secure the rudder as on wheel steering models. I know now that it has to do with prop wash from my 8 hp Yanmar.

Thanks

Jeff:confused:

jwolfgra

Member II
Not sure if this would be considered a good approach, but here is what I did prior to getting an autopilot.

I hooked a short line on a moveable cleat I had on the genoa track. That line was then looped around the tiller. The line was set to resist the pull caused by the prop wash. The prop wash pull on the tiller held the line in place, and effectively the tiller was held in place. I did a loop around the tiller and secured with a rolling hitch so I had easy adjustability.

Cheap, and relatively easy.

good luck

Gary and Terri

tiller tamer

Jeff,

We have a tiller E-27 w/ Yanmar also. What we did was to install a small SS eyelet on the side on the cockpit about 4-6 inches below the seat on both sides of cockpit. When under power we hook the end of a bungee cord in the port eyelet, over the tiller and hook other end back to same eyelet. The torque of the motor is about nuetralized by the bungee cord just experiment with lenght of cord.I think we use about an 18" one. We also use the same one under sail. Once you have balanced the helm just hook one end on one eyelet and wrap once around tiller and hook other end of cord to starboard eyelet. adjust a little and it takes almost no efford. Good luck ,
Gary and Terri
"TerriAnn"
E-27
Dunedin Fl.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thank you for the great ideas.

Thank you for the great ideas. It gives me a lot to think about. I do have some eyelet cleats on the deck by the tiller that I have never understood. Might be something like your suggesting.

Thank you all.

Jeff

Jim Baldwin

Member II
tiller tamer

Hi Jeff:
I like the standard tiller extension handle with the installed pocket receptacle. The end of the extension handle has a rubber ball that fits securley into a slotted pocket. A simple twist of the handle locks the tiller in any position. That's it. I never take it off, it's just to handy. There's no control lines running across the cockpit, right in front of the companionway either. Need Photo?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I would love a photo.

Thanks Jim,

I would love a photo. Also who makes such a thing and where can I buy one. Like I said in my original post, I was hoping to find something like on a wheel steering, that has a nob you can just tighten.

Any opinions about the "Davis Tiller Tamer" sold by West Marine. Not sure how it works. Looks like a lot of lines across the cockpit. The price is right, about 25 bucks.

Thanks

Jeff

Jim Baldwin

Member II
I should work for WM

WM page, 919. forespare model 111922.

I have installed it well forward on the tiller which puts it just under my right hand, (on the left, if you're south paw). Yes, these things work well and it's great for the single-hander. If you're trimmed and balanced just right you will be tempted to take a stroll 'round deck or read your Yachting magazine while in the head.

Two important things to remember...If you use it for a step, (just once), it will be bent and cost you another $75.00 and if you slip and fall into the big blue Pacific, (while taking your stroll), you will watch your boat sail off into the sunset. (You can whistle but I doubt if she'll come back).

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Home Made Tiller Minder for only $15 Bucks

Hey Fellow Sailors & Friends,

Check this out. Rather than spending over a $100. bucks for a Forspar tiller extension and lock, I came up with this solution for about $15. bucks. There was already a bronze oar lock mounted on the side of the cockpit when I purchased my 1973 Ericson 27. I never knew what it was for so I applied it to my solution for a Tiller Tamer. I bought a Paint Roller Extension, Roller Handel and a U Bolt with two wing nuts. I put a piece of plastic tubing over the U Bolt to protect the tiller. I drilled two holes in the Roller Handel for the U bolt and one in the end of the Roller Extension. Enough explanation. Check out the photos. This will hold my tiller on corse for quite a while.

Jeff

Attachments

• tillerminder.jpg
    tillerminder.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 1,779

mufflaw

Island Boy
Love that tiller, did you make it your self? Looks like Plywood. I'm ready for a new one. Please tell me how you did it ( if it was you that made it)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Nope, That's the tiller that came with the boat when I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. I believe it is just a West Marine off the shelf model. It's not ply wood. I believe it's layers of laminated mahogany and ash. Not sure of that. But the Tiller Tamer / Minder is home made!