• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Captain Q reviews a 36C

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Just got home and found this: Youtube.
Early in the video he talks a bit about Bruce King designs - and he mentions the 31 Independence!
Did you hear that Kotona? Captain Q knows that boats like you exist. :D

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Seriously. When we were looking, we said to ourselves 'under 35 feet', but I think we could have rationalized another foot, if this one had been available at the time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seriously. When we were looking, we said to ourselves 'under 35 feet', but I think we could have rationalized another foot, if this one had been available at the time.
Different shopping era, but we would be happy with that one too. Only change I would make, just off hand, would be to restore the function of the galley range. Considering the limited 'market' back in the day for a full-dress racer/cruiser from Ericson, this was a bit of a marketing risk for them would be my guess. Wonderful for future generations that they built these.
:egrin:

kapnkd

kapnkd
You’re right…Think there will always be a smaller market for classic lined boats, but for a production oriented company to build the I-31 or 36C was probably a well discussed decision back then. Glad they did it!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
That is a one in a million find, what a beauty.
Mr King designed a one off for his daughter, if I have the story correct, called “Frog Princess” from a story book he used to read to her.

The lines are somewhat similar to the 36C and is a beautiful little classic “Proper Sailing Yacht”.

Attachments

• 14D3AF31-8545-4FBD-BF9F-F1987A9143CE.jpeg
    14D3AF31-8545-4FBD-BF9F-F1987A9143CE.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 566821E7-1559-4ABF-A820-601539BE37F1.jpeg
    566821E7-1559-4ABF-A820-601539BE37F1.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 38
  • CF9F909F-10FC-4395-A31C-78900F876849.jpeg
    CF9F909F-10FC-4395-A31C-78900F876849.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 37

peaman

Sustaining Member
Before I decided to buy my 32-3, I gave serious thought to a 36C that was available. As a fan of traditional designs, with modern improvements, I really like the whole package. And the outboard rudder with the traditional schooner steering gear was really pulling at me. I guess I chickened out and opted for the more "mainstream" design of the 32-3. No looking back, but if I see a 36C nearby, I may have to glance in that direction for a minute.

Reminds me of the Stone Horse
There is a Stone Horse in my marina, and that's pretty appealing as well. Like a sibling of the 36C.

JPS27

Member III
can someone speak to the helm set up. I loved the boat and episode. But I couldn’t get past imagining how that set up would work pulling into my marina. Is it an optical illusion or are the engine controls out of reach from behind the wheel?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I've seen a few boats with this set up and never really liked it because I thought it would be uncomfortable and impractical to stand behind the wheel. Then my dock neighbor explained that he never stears from behind. always from the front or side. He said it's one of his favorite things about the boat because it opens up the cockpit and makes single handing so much easier. Kind of weird to wrap your head around, but I think he's on to something.

erikwfab

Member II
I have a 36C Unda Maris hull #8 in SoCal for sale if any of you are interested, she's a beauty, sail her every weekend.

erikwfab

Member II
iphone photos 381.jpgiphone photos 402.jpgiphone photos 381.jpg

Attachments

• iphone photos 1190.jpg
    iphone photos 1190.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 25
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 31
  • iPhone 6 3-8-16 1345.JPG
    iPhone 6 3-8-16 1345.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 33

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm not sure if it's allowed, but you could get some good exposure by posting in the comments of the captain q video. Great looking boat!

Bobby Steele

Member II
We came so close to buying one of these in 2019; but decided it had too many issues needing TLC that we just weren’t ready to attack. The tour was nice - if it hadn’t needed all the work we saw needed - it’s truly the ultimate boat. I hope someone was able to buy it and do the work. It would’ve lol great moored on the Hudson.

pgadd

Member I
I have a 36C Unda Maris hull #8 in SoCal for sale if any of you are interested, she's a beauty, sail her every weekend.
I don’t see her in Yachtworld, SailboatListings, Boats.com, or Craigslist for LA. How/where is she listed? Or has she already sold?

erikwfab

Member II
I am not actively marketing her, hence no listings, not sold, still enjoy sailing her, but if the right person is interested, I could be persuaded.
Thanks for asking

Sails Pending

can someone speak to the helm set up. I loved the boat and episode. But I couldn’t get past imagining how that set up would work pulling into my marina. Is it an optical illusion or are the engine controls out of reach from behind the wheel?
I usually stand infont of the wheel pulling in a marina so I can reach the shifter, and throttle.