CDI Perfect Pitch Prop

While we are discussing props, I have an E29 that I bought this year, but won't get to put her in the water till April. So if I'm going to make a change, now is the time. I have never been on her in the water much less motoring. She has a 2 blade bronze folding prop right now. Is there a better alternative to this or should I leave the current prop in place. She has a 30hp A4.

Thanks!
Bart

Emerald

Hi Bart,

I put an Indigo prop on my E-27 with an A4, and absolutely loved it. Here's a link:

http://www.atomic4.com/propeller.html

Is this your first boat? If I read your post correctly, you have not sailed this particular boat yet. Just wondering what your experience is with the folding two blade prop. People seem to have a love hate relationship with folding props depending on cruising versus racing orientation, and requirements for backing up, thrust in choppy seas etc. If this is your first boat and you're learning, you might find a non folding prop is a better choice as it will be easier to learn on a fixed prop. If this is the case, you can set the folding one aside for potential use if you turn racer or conversion to boat bucks if you stay cruiser.

wurzner

Member III
I had a martec folding on my E32 when I bought it and it was a %^#$%!. The boat also had an identical prop in a non feathering configuration so I put it on since even though I race more, I do cruise in some decent currents here in the Pacific North West. After putting on the fixed prop, I gained nothing except the delay related to the prop unfolding and if I would have kept the boat, I would have put the folding prop back on. My 32 would motor nicely at around 6 knots in flat slack water and more if I pushed it up to around 1700 RPM. Given the amount of prop walk with either prop, I learned how to use it to my advantage and it rarely posed a problem except when you I just didn't have the room to get a little way.

I would stick with your current prop and only reprop if you plan on repowering one day. I liked my A4 so I'm not saying you should repower, but I would stick with your current configuration and try it out.

shaun

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
" %^#$% "

Hi Shaun,
Folding props do have their excentricities in reversing... Feathering props cure most of this.
Having no problems for ten years with our two-blade Martec featherer, what was the problem with yours? (Ours is on a a diesel, if that makes a difference.)

Loren

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Loren,

Based on your comment, I can see I wasn't clear. The #$^@# had nothing to do with the prop, it was the prop walk associated with how the boat is layed out. I thought it was related to the martec, but it wasn't. I found the martec and the fixed almost identical and it was only my inexperiance with the boat that made me believe it was due to the prop. Also, it was a folding prop and I may have said feathering since I know you have a feathering prop.

To clarify, I would have put the folding prop back on since I found significant performance difference between the fixed and folding.

Thanks for pointing it out...I hadn't had my coffee yet!

Shaun

vbenn

Member III
CDI prop

I installed one on my previous boat (Seidelmann S-295). As far as I could tell, there was no perceptable difference between it and the 3-blade bronze prop it replaced. As for antifouling, I lightly sanded it and applied the interlux spray product for saildrives - - worked fine.

For my E-380, I am considering an Autoprop (after I win the lottery!). In September, we were attempting to back into our slip during a moderate crosswind. The 3-blade prop and hull form make for more prowalk than reverse motion as you know. End result was a slight hull to hull confrontation with the Hinckley picnic boat in the adjacent slip and a huge dent in my ego. I need more control in reverse and/or a slip bridle like I used when I sailed the Barnegat.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue