• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Change is not always improvement [Defender Marine Supply]

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Defender is still doing okay by us. In lieu of the in-store spring sale they had a big online sale. My call about some product specifics was answered confidently, and as it turned out, correctly. Everything was in stock and we received our package in 2-3 days. Comparison shopping on just one item:
propspeed.jpg

I get that West Marine has a huge additional cost in maintaining local stores and we try to buy some things there on a regular basis. But this price difference made for a pretty simple decision on my part. I do miss Defender's past order list, though it was abominably difficult to search. I hope their store opens again. I liked the rustic hardware store feel of the place and hope (probably in vain) that the new iteration won't be too glitzy. And I could do without their vapid new videos.

Filkee's comment about the relentless emailing of Jamestown/TotalBoat is spot on. I seem to recall asking if they have a function which would allow me to dial back the number of promotional emails, but not cancel. My recollection is that they do not.

I've also used Hamilton, Seattle Fisheries, Mauripro with good results. They either had things no one else did or better prices. I'll have to try Hodges. I'm a self-confessed Amazon slut, but I try not to buy boating products from them. It's my token effort to help the boat specific companies, but I certainly don't fault anyone who does.

two cents 03.jpg

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'm not a regular customer of Defender but have purchased from them on infrequent occasions. I just bought some Hypalon patches from them and found their new website to be quite good and a definite improvement over the old site. It's one of the better ones I've used. I also like their order tracking--so far. Let's see if I actually get what I ordered and how long it takes!

It's true that the new website no longer has my old order history, but in my case that was so scant as to be no big loss. I can see why that would be disconcerting to longtime customers, though.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Still not pleased about my order history being gone, but the last few orders I've made from Defender since this thread started have gone off without a hitch. Seems they've ironed out the order/delivery kinks that occurred during the changeover.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
In my first order since this thread began, I ordered on 04/28, received in Kansas on 05/03. Everything went smoothly for me.

They've just recently restored order history - has yours returned? Mine has.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
In my first order since this thread began, I ordered on 04/28, received in Kansas on 05/03. Everything went smoothly for me.

They've just recently restored order history - has yours returned? Mine has.
Just checked and they restore my order history all the way back the the first one in 2015. Guess things do take time even with the on-line retail world.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mine is back , too, also to 2015. Really useful and I will resume ordering.

However, I added them up and my previous orders total $8,883. Not that I really needed to know that....

Note: I bought Sea Dog bunk lamps in 2015 @ $49. By last year they were completed corroded and had to be replaced--not a high mark for that product.

My new lighting choices here.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I haven't added up how much I've spent at Defender over the years cause it would probably be too depressing and I certainly wouldn't want my first mate to see that bit of information either. ;)

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
It's nice to see the order history is back, but that allows us to see how much their pricing structure has changed. A Lewmar clutch I purchased in 2020 for $148 is now $232 which is more expensive than West Marine. When you add their processing and shipping time for us West Coast folks, Defender really isn't practical anymore. They also don't have the open box and remanufactured clearance section anymore.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The whole ordering project is bizarre. A 1" foam brush at my hardware store is 79 cents. At Defender it's 49 cents, shiiping is expensive, and delivery takes a week. . (Free shipping with $99 order).

I just ordered 25 1" foam brushes on Amazon, for $7. With Prime pre-paid shipping, they'll be here tomorrow. Returns are instant and free.

Probably the foam brushes are low quality. I use them only for dabs or tests, when esp. with oil base coatings cleanup is a pain.

The retail business is brutal. Loyalty makes no sense, except maybe to WM in some irrational desire to keep their local stores alive (which are struggling).

Probably all of us do the same thing now--discover a product on some specialized site, then Google it to find a better price package.

Dunno how this will work out in the long run, but right now it's a customer boon.

I mean, delivery tomorrow? And you can send it back, free? For $7 total?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I do my best to support the local chandlery unintentionally. Projects start off with great intentions but when I'm on the boat with material in hand and a little time carved out to do the project, reality sets in and I end up with 14 trips to the local chandlery, more confused than when I started, and the whole boat torn apart. The local stores love me because I'm buying the high markup stuff like nuts and bolts, specialty wire terminals, tools I own but can't find, and other bits and bobs. All while the same product I took weeks to find a few bucks cheaper sits on their shelf gathering dust.

Pete the Cat

Member III
The whole ordering project is bizarre. A 1" foam brush at my hardware store is 79 cents. At Defender it's 49 cents, shiiping is expensive, and delivery takes a week. . (Free shipping with $99 order).

I just ordered 25 1" foam brushes on Amazon, for $7. With Prime pre-paid shipping, they'll be here tomorrow. Returns are instant and free.

Probably the foam brushes are low quality. I use them only for dabs or tests, when esp. with oil base coatings cleanup is a pain.

The retail business is brutal. We all shop around. Loyalty makes no sense, except maybe to WM in some irrational desire to keep their local stores alive (which are struggling).

I, and probably all of us, do the same thing now--discover a product on some specialized site, then Google it to find a better price package.

Dunno how this will work out in the long run, but right now it's a customer boon.

I mean, delivery tomorrow? And you can send it back, free? For $7 total?
I find paying just a bit more for the Jenn Manufacturing foam brushes is worth it. Wildly varying quality in foam brushes and I have found the really cheap ones to be nearly useless.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Can't disagree with any of that, Christian. Amazon's free shipping/returns model have forced a lot of retailers to offer it at some level (often with increased prices, as nothing is free). Not sure who this Nick J guy is ( :D ) , but I don't have an option to run to a local chandlery, so I have to source nearly everything online and plan ahead very well (which I fail at frequently, so projects take me forever to complete). As much as I love Bass Pro, their selection is pretty limited for my needs and even more so, the other marinas on the lake (who deal almost exclusively with powerboats).

The bigger risk with Amazon is counterfeit items. They have a reputation of not policing sellers well. Maine Sail just recently wrote an article on counterfeit electrical components. I personally haven't fallen victim to it, but I'm wary, so I'll try to buy "important" items from an authorized reseller.

For me, I'm usually making a bigger order to Defender, so the shipping works out and I'm usually paying less per-item than I could from Amazon.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Can't disagree with any of that, Christian. Amazon's free shipping/returns model have forced a lot of retailers to offer it at some level (often with increased prices, as nothing is free). Not sure who this Nick J guy is ( :D ) , but I don't have an option to run to a local chandlery, so I have to source nearly everything online and plan ahead very well (which I fail at frequently, so projects take me forever to complete). As much as I love Bass Pro, their selection is pretty limited for my needs and even more so, the other marinas on the lake (who deal almost exclusively with powerboats).

The bigger risk with Amazon is counterfeit items. They have a reputation of not policing sellers well. Maine Sail just recently wrote an article on counterfeit electrical components. I personally haven't fallen victim to it, but I'm wary, so I'll try to buy "important" items from an authorized reseller.

For me, I'm usually making a bigger order to Defender, so the shipping works out and I'm usually paying less per-item than I could from Amazon.

I do enjoy seeing the word "chandlery" in all the sailing related posts and articles. Alas, I'm chandlery-free in my area of NJ. In most cases it's either a 20 mile drive to West Marine, ordering from WM, Defender or Amazon, or having my marina shop order it for me.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I do my best to support the local chandlery unintentionally. Projects start off with great intentions but when I'm on the boat with material in hand and a little time carved out to do the project, reality sets in and I end up with 14 trips to the local chandlery, more confused than when I started, and the whole boat torn apart. The local stores love me because I'm buying the high markup stuff like nuts and bolts, specialty wire terminals, tools I own but can't find, and other bits and bobs. All while the same product I took weeks to find a few bucks cheaper sits on their shelf gathering dust.
Boy, ain't this the truth, Nick! Far, far too often do I need to take what my friend Neil calls "the trip of shame" to my local West Marine because of my failure to adequately plan out my job and have everything I need on hand.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Unless you have to find the missing fasteners on a Sunday, be sure to check out your local industrial-oriented supply stores. We have several and their SS fastener prices are way lower than a chandler.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Unless you have to find the missing fasteners on a Sunday, be sure to check out your local industrial-oriented supply stores. We have several and their SS fastener prices are way lower than a chandler.
The "marine section" of my local Westlake Ace Hardware and Home Depot have kept me pretty well supplied in fasteners for refitting my deck hardware.