• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

dacron furler

Emerald

Do you have the original sail? If not, I can make measurements from my original. I believe it is pretty close to what would have been "standard".

What are your typical wind conditions? We have more than our share of light air on the Chesapeake, and the sail I use most in the summer has a much lower clue than was original.

A good place to check for used sails is Bacon's:

http://www.baconsails.com/

amadon light

Member II
sails

usaul winds are 6//8 with 1//2 ft seas no i dont have a sail KATRINA has it a small edge was exposed and it was unrolled partly and shredded much need of measurements if not any trouble tymuch for the assistance

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tis the Season...

The size of the old sail would be of very limited help to a sailmaker. Important thing is accurate measurements of the boat itself.
Most sailmakers have a measurement form for this purpose.
There is one at this web site:
http://www.ukhalsey.com/sails/howtobuysail/buyasail.asp

Note that you gotta have solid data for the location of sheeting positions, hoist, type of tack fitting, etc.

I have purchased several sails over the decades from the NW UKSails loft using their measurement form augmented with photos of key attachment points and conversations with the loft. Never a problem. (Disclaimer: I have no business connection with this sailmaker, and others may build every bit as good a sail - maybe better!)

We are heading into the fall discount season for sails, and along with generally lowered prices due to the recession, this might be a good time to get a bid.

Just be careful of too low of a bid... like dealing with any RFP, I always find it useful to throw out the top and bottom bids first, and then consider the reputation and service history of whoever's left.
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Attachments

• MeasForm2008.pdf
    133.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Emerald

Hi,

Loren is right on about getting measurements and working closely with your sail maker. As I've been working through sail upgrades on Emerald, I've found it hasn't been as straight forward with the cutter rig, especially when shopping used sails. Most of what you find used, and what my local sail maker seems to have experience with, is a low clew that is standard on the sloop genoa, but not a short leech and high clew like you find on a classic cutter yankee. That's why I was leading into what your wind conditions are like, because I'm not doing what seems to be typical for a cutter for most of my sailing. We get a lot of light air on the Chesapeake, like it seems you do also. I was given a "yankee" in nice shape that is really a traditional genoa, and I have found I do gain significant light air performance over the original sail with the high foot. I have experimented switching sails back to back, but there are tradeoffs. When pointing as high as possible, the lower foot blankets the staysail somewhat and I'll gain performance almost always when pointing higher than 45 degrees to furl up the staysail. That said, I'd say I feel I get more power this way than with the traditional setup going upwind, and as soon as I am reaching, the staysail doesn't have the same interference problems. However, when the wind starts hitting mid to high teens, I would go for the more traditional setup with the higher cut foot, and in fall and spring when the winds tend to be higher, I'll often leave the traditional yankee on the foil, but right now, and for all summer, I've had the larger sail with the lower foot. I've attached several pictures of the two yankees hoisted togeher (I was doing this anyway as part of doing a new staysail right now) and also a shot with both yankees and the staysail. You can see the angle of the leech is about identical on the two headsails, but where the clew lands and how it impacts the staysail is very different. Also note I don't like the sheeting angle on the original staysail, and part of what I am looking at with the sailmaker (back to what Loren said ;)) is what changes to make to improve this sheeting angle and to build a sail with better pointing performance. I find when it's blowing into the 20's the staysail and main work very nicely with good balance. Just for grins so you have an idea of fit as you look at used sails, the dimensions on the original yankee are luff 36' 3", leech 29' 8", foot 18' 7". The larger yankee is luff 36' 5", leech 35' 1", foot 20'.

So, hope all this ramble is helpful, and honestly, if I was building a yankee from scratch, I'd go with the more traditional sail shape with the high clew, but if I was shopping used sails as part of the mix, I'd certainly give a hard look at a nice sail that was more like a sloop's genoa if the price were right.

Attachments

• 2-yankees-clue_1024.jpg
    2-yankees-clue_1024.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 2-yankees-foot_1024.jpg
    2-yankees-foot_1024.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 2-yankees-staysail-overlap-1024.jpg
    2-yankees-staysail-overlap-1024.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited: