Misc. EQ Dewalt Cordless Vac?

All other equipment not included in other categories. Please advise Admin if new category is needed after posting here.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Anyone have one of these Dewalt DCV580 cordless canister vacs?
Screenshot_20230219-102822~2.png

I want a cordless vac for the boat and I already have 2 Dewalt batteries that fit this one, but it doesn't get great reviews.

Anyone have one and likes it? Or has a recommendation for another?

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I'm already invested into the Ridgid brand, so I bought their version of this. I've been very happy with mine. It's great for all the little messes around the boat and also for sucking up the last bits of water out of the bilge compartments.

RidgidVac.png

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The complaints certainly do pile up... :(
Great concept, however. I like my Dewalt DC drills, so the commentary on this particular product is really disappointing. I would like to have a portable canister type vac for the boat, but perhaps not this one.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I like my Dewalt DC drills, so the commentary on this particular product is really disappointing
I have number of DeWalt products, including a 3/8" cordless drill that is great on the boat and everything is good value. My vacuum is corded, a 1 gallon Craftsman. too big for my inverter, but I have a dust pan for backup.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
The Rigid looks nice. Craftsman’s brand actually got good reviews too. The problem with all these is that the price doubles if you have buy the batteries.
I have the Craftsman version. I had already bought into the Craftsman eco system, so I had several batteries - local hardware store has a full line of Craftsman tools. I'm very pleased with it.

Agree about the batteries, though. If you already have the batteries you might just throw caution to the winds. The alternative is keeping up with different chargers for different batteries. Knowing a charger is at the boat and another is at the house, so I always have the right one, is worth something.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I would go with the brand of batteries you already have. How bad can a small vacuum be? I have Milwaukee cordless tools so that's the cordless vac I own.

RonB.

I have the smaller dewalt vacuum and find it very handy. The filter plugs up on a regular basis but is easy enough to clean. I’m very happy with it.

RonB.
35-3

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I bought into the Makita platform a long time ago, so my experience has been with them. The vacuum is so good, we now have two. It was actually my wife who said we need to buy the second just for around the house after having one on the boat for a year. With the major players in the market, I don't think you can go wrong. It's great for the consumers that they're all pushing each other to make better products.

Teranodon

Member III
I just counted: 13 Dewalt cordless tools, including the vac! I like it. One problem: there is - necessarily - an exhaust port. It tends to scatter the things that you are trying to vacuum up. Not sure how that could be avoided.

P.S. I have three different Dewalt cordless lights. They are extremely handy during the occasional power outages in my rural area. Last for hours.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
One problem: there is - necessarily - an exhaust port. It tends to scatter the things that you are trying to vacuum up. Not sure how that could be avoided.
Isn't that what the different grades of filters are for? You can buy basic all the way to HEPA, depending on what you're vacuuming up and the particle size.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
If I spent four and a half hours researching cordless vacs to, ultimately, save $20, did I win or lose? I did happen to be on a long flight though, so I figured buying the vac was more productive than just watching a couple of movies.

I took the advice that it's probably best to stick with the battery & charger type I already have (De Walt).

But I also liked the reviews, the price, and the fact that I could pick up the Craftsman vac at a local Lowe's store.

This missing link was this $20 Amazon adapter:
Screenshot_20230222-223559~2.png
Screenshot_20230222-223713~2.png

Yeah, maybe the little yellow battery will look silly hanging an extra 2" off the back of the red VAC. Maybe I would have been just as happy with the De Walt. There's rarely a perfect solution.

Here are some of the research links I used.

Navman

Member III
I have used the cordless Mikita hand vacume for about three years. Much smaller than those units shown in the previous posts. Works very well, the battery is also useful for my cordless drills, and it take up very little space.

JonathanCarlos

I have DeWalt's original version which was AC and Battery. That was back when DeWalt was having battery issues and I made the switch to Makita, but still use the DeWalt vac on AC. Works "OK", but nice to have the small platform and not a full size shop vac.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I have a Milwaukee wet/dry one that runs on the 18v batteries my drill and grinder use. It’s great and the fact it’s wet/dry is a big plus.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I have a Milwaukee wet/dry one that runs on the 18v batteries my drill and grinder use.
Yeah, I think the Milwaukee got short-changed in the reviews above. Sounds like it has the best suction but they dinged it because they didn't like Milwaukee's wet pick-up tool. That's sorta silly.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I bought into the Makita platform a long time ago, so my experience has been with them. The vacuum is so good, we now have two. It was actually my wife who said we need to buy the second just for around the house after having one on the boat for a year. With the major players in the market, I don't think you can go wrong. It's great for the consumers that they're all pushing each other to make better products.
I have used the cordless Mikita hand vacume for about three years. Much smaller than those units shown in the previous posts. Works very well, the battery is also useful for my cordless drills, and it take up very little space.
I'm also well invested into Makita so would you two mind sharing what you bought that works so well?
tia
Bob

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author