Documented Yachts

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Can someone clear me up on the virtues and benfits of owning a documented vessle? I sail on the chesapeake and I have recently purchased my E 38. The boat is documented. I paid several hundred dollars to have the documentation transfered into my name at purchase. I also paid MD state sales tax and a fee to register the baot in MD. I now have a registration sticker from MD that is good through 2006. I thought with a documented boat that I did not need to display the numbers and state sticker and that I just needed my documentation sticker? If thats the case do I still need to pay the MD registrations fee every 2 years? If so then why would I waste my money renewing the documentation too? I'm unclear on what exactly I need to display. The boat did not have registration numbers on the bow but did have a registration sticker. Also had what I think was a documentation sticker on the mast...

Thanks,

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To be a "Number" or a "Name?"

In my state, Oregon, boaters are required to have the state two-year registration sticker displayed, whether documented or not. The only "visual" difference is that legally document vessels do not have to display Oregon bow numbers.
All this is found on the Oregon Marine Board web site. I'll bet that your state has posted their rules in some similar fashion. In short, only your MD boating admin. folks can answer your registration questions.
:rolleyes:

The bigger question is whether you actually need to be documented ....
As I understand things, strictly from annecdotal information, you normally need it when you visit other countries. Canada (i.e. BC province) has never seemed concerned either way, for us Northwesterners that go back and forth all the time, but my friends that have cruised Mexico and Central Americal say that individual state registrations are not accorded the same instant recognition as a "US Vessel" (i.e. documented).
As to whether you would get any more "protection" from foreign government hassles just because you are documented -- I would not hold my breath waiting for some Embassy-stationed Marines to show up...
:cool:

If I had a blue water capable boat like yours, I might stick with the documentation, even if only to stoke my "someday" cruising dream.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
You can find a good synopsis here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQK/is_1_6/ai_69233945

As for marking the boat, my understanding is that you can dispense with the state numbers (but you still need state registration, i.e. pay the annual fee -- check http://boatus.com/gov/f9.htm), you have to have the boat's name and hailing port (anywhere in the world, I think) on the stern, and you have to have the doumentation number permanently afixed to the interior. I've complied with about half of them.

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Documentation

Another thing that documentation does, it makes it easier to sell. Lending institutions prefer to lend money on documented vessels.

Ray Rhode

Member III
I would keep the documentation since you have already paid for it and it will renew for free automatically every year. It is considered a federal title and makes any future sale easier since most lending institutions require it.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

mark reed

Member III
renewing documentation

While documentation renewal is free, it is not automatic. You receive a form in the mail each year, asking if anything has changed, such as vessel name or hailing port. You have to send that form back in to renew the certificate of documentation for another year.

jmoses

Member III
Docemented vessels

Documented vessels are the 'defacto' requirement for traveling over seas. If you don't plan on traveling overseas, then documentation is of little value. As a side note, you need to update the Certificate of Document every year. Plus your vessel has to be 5 net tons, so that 15' sunfish won't cut it.

Having been in the surveying biz for a while now, I can't tell you how many CoD's are expired because the owner's forget to renew them, then the cost increases with late penalties....something to think about.

What does a CoD offer? Well, in time of war, the U.S. Govt. can impound your vessel for war time service, which will most likely not happen. Plus it expedites foreign port clearance (plus cartons of Marlboros and fine scotch whisky)

For instance, here in CA, state registration is about 10.00 biannually Vs. filling out paperwork annually for the USCG.

The cost of an initial CoD is 133.00 and every change has a cost involved
For more info see:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/fees2.htm

For instance, if your vessel is wrecked. it's gonna cost you $555.00 to get rid of the CoD which ain't cheap in my book.

jmoses

Member III
Oh Yeah

Forgot to mention,

Some states require state registration regardles of wether a vessel is documented or not.....so check with you local Govt.

Emerald

Hi Ted,

Some more MD specific info. You have to pay sales tax in MD regardless of it's documentation, where you live etc. if the boat resides in MD waters for most of a given year. Contact DNR for the exact time period. So in that respect you have to pay the taxes regardless. After that, you also have to pay a use fee that is recurring year after year. Now, what you do get is the ability to not clutter your fine looking bow with registration numbers. You do have to display a sticker, but I believe the forward half of the boat in a visible location e.g. base of mast is OK. Of note, the sticker you display for registration numbers is different from the sticker you display if you are documented and are just showing you are in compliance with tax and annual use fees. If you recieved an interim registration card and stickers for numbers while waiting for your Coast Guard paperwork, make sure you get the updated stickers for your new status.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks, its that other sticker I was wondering about. I got my documentation cert in the mail but it did not come with any stickers. I got my MD state registration sticker too. I have that on the bow now, no numbers, and was thinking I should have some sort of decal referring to the fact that I am a documented vessel. Guess I will have to put a call in to "The Man"...

jmoses

Member III
Documented Vessel issues

Technically, if a vessel travels to a foreign port of call, it *should* be documented AND have an FCC radio station license.

The benefit of documentation for being soley on US waters has already been stated (banks prefer it, it looks official, it's esier to trace history of sales, prior owners, etc.).

The major benefit of a documented vessel is mostly for traveling overseas in that the boat is actually considered United States 'soil' or an entity of the U.S. Whether other countries observe that rule is a toss up. Foreign soldiers with machine guns boarding your boat are not keen on any discussions/arguments about U.S. rules and regs......but the vessel *should* be treated similarly as if it was U.S. embassy property. BUT, machine guns and orders usually outweigh that agreement every time.

Documentation does seem to expedite port clearance and inter-country travel as the vessel has official USCG paper work and the official number that they can look up if so inclined. Trying to look up a state registered vessel is probably next to impossible in some countries, hence the hassle. Plus, those state reg. stickers can be peeled off and new ones put on very easily.....i.e. theft then sale in a foriegn country.

Some states do require registration stickers (revenue enhancement), but no registration numbers. Check with your individual state laws as they differ from state to state. If a boat is USCG documented, the official numbers MUST be permantly affixed to a structural or major component of the vessel and be a minimum of 3" high. I've seen it carved into frames, welded onto a bulkhead, even one gent had the patience to actually drill out the number outlines into a plate and then weld it to a frame - very impressive (and time consuming, but very nice looking). Also, it must start with "No." following with the offical numbers such as "No. 123456". As stated, be minimum of three inches high and permantly affixed to the boat some how.....stickers are a no-no. Also, the vessel's name and hailing port must be on the stern and if engaged in activities such as commercial fishing, coastwise trade, etc., the name must be on the port and stbd bow as well.

If there are no changes to the USCG documentation info (besides owner's address), there is no annual renewal fee. So you are done with the USCG $$$ wise unless you need to change info such as name, drop/add an owner, etc.

See USCG NVDC website...it has plenty of FAQs on it:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Does that help any?

John M.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Here's another reason not to document a boat. A client of mine discovered that the boyfriend of the prior owner of his boat filed a lien (basically all you have to do is send a written claim to the national documentation center) against the boat after he bought it in an effort to extort some money (he discovered the lien when it he refinanced his loan). It cost my client $10,000 in legal fees to have the lien removed (through a federal court proceeding). Of course, I am not certain if the same games can be played with a state registered boat, but it is something to think about.

hodo

Member III
That's why you do a title search to guarantee a clear title. It costs about $400. Would have been a good investment. :cheers:

oceandreams89

Member II
In Connecticut the state issues a different colored state registration sticker for documented boats. That way law enforcement can see who needs to display state numbers and who does not just by the sticker color. (ie documented vessels need not show state numbers)