• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Drilling holes in mast head.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Am I missing something? There are lost of threads about internal halyards on this site. Am I missing something or are the only things involved.

1 drill holes for the halyards to leave the sheaves and enter the mast. Anti-chafing at hole.
2 a clear path down the mast for halyards
3 optional guides or padding to prevent slapping of halyards
4 exit plates or blocks
5 rout halyards where you want them

I know someone on a smaller E boat found a section of the mast filled with foam and had to remove that,
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I will send a virtual six pack to the provider of the best suggestion.

Last edited:

Emerald

I think you've got it summed up. On Emerald, there wasn't any need to drill holes at the mast head. Rerouting the halyards internally was just an issue of changing the halyards from running over the top of two sheeves and back down the other side to running over a single sheave and down the mast head. Do note that different mast heads were used and yours might not be as simple.

I might be the one you are thinking about with foam in the mast. My first Ericson, a 27, had her mast stuffed with packing peanuts. This really really really sucked to get out. At the time, discussion included packing a charge into one end of the mast to blow the junk out. It would have felt good, but would have been bad for the mast, so I spent several days of my life with a variety of long sharp things poking, sucking out with shop vac etc., and not even beginning to drink enough beer to make up for it :egrin:

Last edited:

jkenan

Member III
The only thing you are missing is how you will handle electrical, which should be done thru conduit.

I also internalized my halyards, which involved drilling thru the masthead, reinforcing it, installing conduit, exit plates, and harnesses to hold halyards in place internally. I also had to remove foam from my mast. There are several threads I've either started or posted to that offer good feedback from the forum on this subject. Check out these threads:

Masthead Replacement on Ericson 29
Removing Foam from Mast
Mast Slap
First Boat and I Need Some Help (see my post about mast 'to do' items)

I think the info here should address your questions directly. I'd be happy to be of any assistance (having done it myself), especially with the harnesses and conduit.

I like the virtual Rogue Dead Guy Ale, but the real stuff is much better:egrin:

Good luck!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Why now why me?

John I am in West Georgia, you aren't that far away. Come over for the six-pack or two and go sailing if I ever get this thing back in the water. I didn’t mention the tabernacle I am building to allow the mast to be raised and lowered without a crane or the like. I am using the design for the 27 tabernacle that is on this site but using all 1/2” aluminum plate and adding a couple of bolts to hold the bottom plate down. Also re-bedding all deck hardware and refinishing all the outside teak.

Why am I doing this in the summer?????????? Oh YEA my wife’s projects took up the winter and spring.

jkenan

Member III
Randy-

In our climes, the months of July & August are not very good sailing months IMHO. Too hot.... dangerous, really... Next time I haul the boat, I'm seriously considering this time of year, 1) to dry it out in very short time for any bottom work, and 2) to save the fall, winter, and spring months for sailing. I was kicking myself this Feb/March when the weather was ideal and the boat was out for maintenance.

Your tabernacle project looks well thought out, and I am very interested in seeing your end-result. I routinely raised and lowered the mast on our previous boat, and S2 6.7, which was a tenuous job for 1 person. I wouldn't want to go there on our E29 as the mast is about twice as heavy, but also don't have a need to. If I did, as I understand you do, I'd be motivated to innovate an effective solution. I guess my only advice is to have a crane hooked in as back-up the first time you try this, just in case..., and also to have a means to secure the mast laterally as it's inclination changes (I believe lateral support must adjust dynamically as inclination changes, but I'd have study some trig to say that for certain).

We have 6-packs here in NC too. Will let you if I'm down that way, and likewise...

Best of luck,