Dripless for E27

Jarod

Member III
Hi All,

I am hauling next month and will be replacing all of the drive components from the shaft coupling to the prop. I have terrible access on my 27 and figure the best way to go is a dripless. If anyone has a recommnendation for a particular brand and has done one recently, please let me know the size and manufacturer. I spoke to PSI and they need to know the shaft tube outer diameter. I know there have been issues with available room/distance between the shaft log and the shaft coupling so hopefully I won't encounter this. The shaft is 3/4 I believe and the engine is an
Atomic but that shouldnt matter.

Jarod

Member III
Thanks Loren ..that thread was quite helpful. I wonder if anyone knows the outer diameter of the stern tube on an E27??? I need this measurement to order the seal. My boat is currently in the water and the hose covers the tube not to mention the thing is a bear to get at. I would like to pre-order it so I am ready at haul out...

rgoff

Member III
Many years ago I installed one of the earlier LasDrop shaft seals on my E27. It has worked perfectly. A few years back I ordered a new one, but their design had changed and I didn't think it would fit into the limited space between my A4 and the stern tube.

I got the dimensions on the PSS and it looked like it would fit, but just barely. Never got around to installing it, as my boat interest has dropped some.

Still got the old LasDrop in (and hoping the bellows stays fit).

Walter Pearson

Member III
Dripless Packing

Some years ago I bought a P.Y.I. unit for my E27, but installing it would have required me to exceed some of the specified assembly dimensions because of the short distance between A-4 drive output and the prop shaft log, so I returned it. Not all E27s are exactly the same in all dimensions, so you may have more room. I have gone to the 'dripless' packing system using the Gore teflon 'rope' and paste. My shaft is 3/4" and the outside diameter of the log is nominally close to 1 3/8". (Actually it is not quite round and measures 1.330to 1.377) The PSS unit closest to this was for a 1 1/4" log which adjusted OK to the slightly larger log.

I remember the big problem was the stuffing box hose was essentially glassed in place and it took some effort to get things apart and then put a clean OD on the log. Fortunately, I had made a fairly large access panel to replace a prop strut back in that 'hole', so working on the log was not a bad as it might have been.